Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure Simulator Installation

Morning,

I want to know if it is possible to install Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure Simulator on VMWare WorkStation or ESXI. If Yes, whats are Requirements.

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Morning, 

I regret to inform you, there is no VM simulator for ACI. There is a hardware simulator that can be purchased, it is a UCS-C series that runs a modified version of ACI and virtualizes the three APIC cluster and the Nexus 9000 Leaf/Spines fabric switches. Its a great place to get to know the GUI configure policies, interact with a vCenter and L2/L3 network but is limited to only policy configuration, there is no data plane traffic. 

Here is the Simulator Product ID "APIC-SIM-S="

Hope this answers your question, thank you for using Cisco Support Forms: ACI have a nice day. 

View solution in original post

mengru.tsai
Level 1
Level 1

Yes. is possible. Install ACI Simulator on ESXi Server.

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Morning, 

I regret to inform you, there is no VM simulator for ACI. There is a hardware simulator that can be purchased, it is a UCS-C series that runs a modified version of ACI and virtualizes the three APIC cluster and the Nexus 9000 Leaf/Spines fabric switches. Its a great place to get to know the GUI configure policies, interact with a vCenter and L2/L3 network but is limited to only policy configuration, there is no data plane traffic. 

Here is the Simulator Product ID "APIC-SIM-S="

Hope this answers your question, thank you for using Cisco Support Forms: ACI have a nice day. 

Hey dpita,

The release notes mention that the simulator is sold as an appliance.  Also, it mentions that it runs on a Cisco UCS C220 M3:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/simulator/install/b_APIC_Simulator_Installation_Guide/b_IFC_Simulator_Getting_Started_chapter_01.html

Since the ISO is available on CCO, would it be possible to use an C220 M3 and load the simulator ISO or is purchasing the appliance required?

Thanks,

-Andy

Hello,

From my initial research, yes you should be able to install the Simulator software on a UCS C220 M3. I am not 100% sure on the hardware requirements or some limitation but I am researching it for you. Currently, i can provide you these links to get started:

Release notes for ACI 1.0(2j) Simulator image: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/release/notes/aci_simulator102_rn.html

Installing the ACI Simulator Software: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/simulator/getting-started/b_ACI_Simulator_Getting_Started_Guide/b_APIC_Simulator_Getting_Started_Guide_chapter_010.html

Simulator Getting Started Guide: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/simulator/getting-started/b_ACI_Simulator_Getting_Started_Guide/b_APIC_Simulator_Getting_Started_Guide_preface_00.html

Thanks dpita.  I tried to install on a C220 M3.  Everything appears to go well, and then when creating the partitions the install fails with the below traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/insieme/anaconda.py", line 845, in <module>
    insieme.firstboot.do_first_install(ksdata)
  File "/usr/lib/insieme/firstboot.py", line 448, in do_first_install
    encrypt_partitions.unlockBootflash()
  File "/usr/lib/insieme/encrypt_partitions.py", line 374, in unlockBootflash
    passphrase = ll[0]
IndexError: list index out of range
install exited abnormally [1/1]
The system will be rebooted when you press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

is there a requirement on disk space/configuration?

Thanks for your help,

-Andy

Hello

Just to confirm, could you post the name of the ISO file you are using to install?

That error is reminiscent of installing a secure APIC image on hardware without a TPM, when TPM is corrupt or not enabled in BIOS. Does the C220 have a TPM installed? the TPM is a piece of hardware that plugs into the motherboard

Regarding disk space, please take a look at this new link for the Simulator Data Sheet. Short answer, 100GB of space required. The link below also has the hardware requirements requested from your original post =)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/application-centric-infrastructure-simulator/datasheet-c78-733252.html

Hi dpita!

I am just curious, I have been getting asked lately if the APIC Sim can be installed on a C220 M3, was this confirmed?

No, the simulator has a specific PID that is programmed into the appliance in manufacturing.  Even if you install the software, the software checks the programmed PID and if it does not match the software will not function properly.  There are other things that cause the software to fail if it is installed on a server that is not properly set up by manufacturing.

Mike

A bit strange there are no updates by the users since the simulator was made available to the partners. I have to say that it´s a really nifty tool, still not sure if I can do all the integrations we require...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/simulator/install/b_APIC_Simulator_Installation_Guide.html

There is an ACI simulator ova for internal and partner use that can be installed in a virtualized environment.  The simulator iso available on Cisco.com is keyed to only work with a physical appliance.  It will install but then not come up properly.

Mike

is come up properly

:)

Hello Mike,

Could you please confirm that the OVA is also available for partner's, as I have been told that it is only available for internal Cisco use only.

Regards,

Harshal

Dear All,

I am trying to Install Cisco ACI Simulator, here is the link where i downloaded.

I am trying to install this simulator Over UCS C460 M Series Server Hardware,

I am facing the below issue,

Snapshot Attached. (File name : Snampshot_no progress_1 ; no Progress_2)

Would you like to speed up  the install  by providing path of the ISO via ssl/http

?Press any key if yes, otherwise will timeout and move on in 30 seconds

No input, Moving on...

This is stuck here, no progress there after.

Installation Procedure I Followed,

Attached Screen Shot (File Name : Procedure)

Can any one please advice me on further proceeding, 

Your help is highly appreciated, 

The simulator is not supported on C460 hardware.  It is only supported on the APIC-SIM-S product purchased as a simulator.  The software is keyed to a certificate installed on this hardware by manufacturing.

Mike

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any chance where i can install this ACI Simulator in VM machine or UCS server....

As per the installation guide..they mentioned 2 ways 

1) PXE server

2) virtual media,

Is there any method/chance to install in the VM machine or UCS server.

Your kind reply is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License