Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AVE + vmware standard switch

Michal Rzepecki
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've done a VMM integration with an ACI. I've chosen the Cisco AVE as a virtual switch. The integration was successful but an ACI has made a vDS switch in my vCenter. Is there any possibility to use a standard switch in case of an ACI/AVE and a vSphere integration? Maybe I should choose a different option in VMM domain properties page for an ACI to be aware that I want to use a standard switch instead of a vDS switch? Is it possible that an ACI will automate a standard switch infrastructure for AVE or it can only automate a vDS infrastructure for an AVE?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

joezersk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michal:

Can't use a vSwitch with AVE.  Mostly this is due to the need for HA, where your vLeafs and vSpines should exist across a cluster of ESX hosts, all using the same DVS and automated config from APIC.  We also setup PVLANs and I don't think VMW supports PVLAN on a standard vSwitch. 

While I have not tried it in my lab, I seem to recall we added the ability to reuse an existing DVS for AVE instead of always creating a new one.  Check the install guide for that, as I am not 100% sure. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

joezersk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michal:

Can't use a vSwitch with AVE.  Mostly this is due to the need for HA, where your vLeafs and vSpines should exist across a cluster of ESX hosts, all using the same DVS and automated config from APIC.  We also setup PVLANs and I don't think VMW supports PVLAN on a standard vSwitch. 

While I have not tried it in my lab, I seem to recall we added the ability to reuse an existing DVS for AVE instead of always creating a new one.  Check the install guide for that, as I am not 100% sure. 

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License