Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus Firmware downgrade ACI to NX-OS

Nikhil5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, 

I am trying downgrade Nexus 93108TC switch from the current ACI 14.2 firmware to NX-OS 7.0(3)I7(8). I am following steps given in the below document however got stuck at step-6. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/troubleshooting/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Troubleshooting_Guide/b_Cisco_Standalone_Series_NX-OS_Troubleshooting_Guide_chapter_01.html

From the loader prompt, not able to boot the OS, getting below error. The firmware image is located on the remote Linux server, tftp service is enabled on that. 

Could someone tell me what could be the issue?

loader > boot tftp://10.10.10.2/tftpboot/nxos.7.0.3.I7.8.bin

Security Lock
Booting tftp://10.10.10.2/tftpboot/nxos.7.0.3.I7.8.bin
Trying netboot
Filename: /tftpboot/nxos.7.0.3.I7.8.bin
Address: 10.10.10.20
Netmask: 255.255.255.128
Server: 10.10.10.2
Gateway: 10.10.10.1
 Filesystem type is tftp, using whole disk
Formed cmdline  console=ttyS0,9600n8nn  loader_ver="5.43"  quiet recovery=1  ksimg=tftp://10.10.10.2/tftpboot/nxos.7.0.3.I7.8.bin

tftp fragment = 0
Boot failed

Error 9: Unknown boot failure

==========================

Tried with boot tftp://10.10.10.2/tftpboot/nxos.7.0.3.I7.8.bin and boot tftp://10.10.10.2/nxos.7.0.3.I7.8.bin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hmm that looks like slow transfer rate. Have you tried loading from USB? Do you get same result?

Cheers,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It could be possible that the BIOS version on the switch is not compatible with the image you are trying to load.

Try booting another image - older train release first (6.X), then if still doesn't work try a newer one (newer train release - 9.X)

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Thanks for the response. I tired loading one of the NX-OS and now getting below result - 

tftp fragment = 0
blksize = 1024
no fragement tsize = 982681088
filemax = 3a928600
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Retry 3: Congestion or cable issue
Retry 4: Congestion or cable issue
Retry 5: Congestion or cable issue
Retry 6: Congestion or cable issue
Retry 7: Congestion or cable issue
Retry 8: Congestion or cable issue
Retry 9: Congestion or cable issue
Vendor info. Expected 1536 Read 0
Boot failed

Error 9: Unknown boot failure

Hmm that looks like slow transfer rate. Have you tried loading from USB? Do you get same result?

Cheers,

Sergiu

Thanks, It worked with USB and TFTP as well.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License