cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure time and date manually on cisco ACI (APIC)

Networker0
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,
How can I configure the date and time manually on ACI (APIC)? (no NTP available). I'm not talking about the time zone.
Thanks

5 Replies 5

ecsnnsls
Level 1
Level 1

@Networker0,Hi

I don't think this is possible. Can you explain why there's no NTP available?

NTP source is a basic requirement in any environment, isn't it?

Is it a production or lab environment?

//

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Networker0 

It is quite "challenging" to change the time manually (see below). Having a NTP server for your ACI Fabric is mandatory, because it syncs the time on all devices.

Before doing any manual change, just want to highlight: my advise is to stick with NTP and do not change the time manually. 

Anyway, if I remember correctly you can change the clock manually using the root user. But for that you need the root password from TAC. Or contact your local cisco representatives and ask them to generate a root password for you. You just need to provide them with the token:

apic1# acidiag  dbgtoken
0GEKUXXXXXX

Note: After generating the token, you have around 1h to get the password and use it.

Once you have the password, login as root:

apic1# ssh root@localhost
Application Policy Infrastructure Controller
root@localhost's password: 

After that, use the date cmd to change password

date -s "31 MAY 2021 11:14:00"

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Can you please clarify this?

After setting the date, how does this get propagated to the switches?

Thanks.

Hi @ecsnnsls 

This setting is only valid locally, if you want to modify the time of Switch, please use the following command. (Avoid doing this on a production network.)

Leaf-202# vsh
Cisco iNX-OS Debug Shell
This shell should only be used for internal commands and exists
for legacy reasons. User should use ibash infrastructure as this
will be deprecated.
Leaf-202# clock set ?
WORD HH:MM:SS Current Time (Max Size

Leaf-202# clock set

Thanks

apfeil
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to use CIMC to reboot server, go into BIOS and change time, save it, and then reboot the server to change the time on the APIC. I thought I would post the update in here just in case somebody has the same issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License