Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect ACI (APIC) to existing VMware vDS

Serhii Bykov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there!

Could You explain, how can I configure APIC so that it connects to existing VMware vDS (Distributed Switch) ?

Or is there only one way to configure when APIC creates vDS when configuring VMM Damain in APIC ?

Thank You.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Serhii,

Although you were able to get it to work, please be aware that this is not a Cisco supported method for VMM integration. If anything was not to work in the future, we would not be able to resolve the issue without you creating the DVS via the proper method through the APIC.

Thanks,

Jenny

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jenny Ngo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Serhii,

Unfortunately, you cannot have the APIC manage existing vDS. However, you can still connect your existing vDS into ACI by using static paths, just like any other server.

The APIC can only manage DVS/AVS created from the VMM Domain.

Thanks,

Jenny

Hi Jenny.

Thank You for Your answer.

I just have examined this in our environment and already have answered to my question by myself. And now see Your answer is not correct.

Explain:

I have ACI Fabric with configured oob managemnt, in-band management, leaf policies, VMM Domain profile policy (connection to vCenter Server / VM controller) and so on.

So that when I have created a new VMM Domain profile policy by wizard (on APIC) it automatically creates on vCenter new folder and DVS with the same name. And then APIC can manage this DVS. No surprises.

I have another DVS created manually on that vCenter server and I want APIC (ACI) to have managed it like first one. Documentation wrote that APIC can manage only himself created DVS.

So I have manually created Folder in Datacenter on my VM controller (vCenter) with the same name like manually created DVS. And then I start wizard to create new VMM Domain profile on APIC and set name of VMM Domain like already created DVS.

And now ACI (APIC) have managing manually created DVS switch.

So, short answer to my question is "Yes, ACI can manage manually created DVS on VM controller (vCenter)" :) But You should consider some nuances.

Best regards, Serhii.

Hi Serhii,

Although you were able to get it to work, please be aware that this is not a Cisco supported method for VMM integration. If anything was not to work in the future, we would not be able to resolve the issue without you creating the DVS via the proper method through the APIC.

Thanks,

Jenny

Hi Serhii,

When I saw your original request I planned to test the method you used and get back to you. Unfortunately, I did not get time to test yesterday, so I'm pleased to read that you were able to achieve your goal.

Now, what you must realise is that ACI has a pool of dynamic VLAN IDs associated with that DVS, and next time you associate an EPG with that VMM Domain, it will create a new Port Group on the DVS using one of the dynamic VALN IDs.

So - you need to be careful that you don't get any VLAN ID clashes

Also, any existing port groups that are on the DVS are NOT going to be managed by the APIC (at least I don't expect they will - I have not tested this).  For existing PortGroups, you will need to manually map them to EPGs as static EPs in the way Michael G. described.

I hope this helps

RedNectar
aka Chris Welsh

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hello Chris.

Yes, you are right. Existing port groups on DVS are not managed by ACI.

Thanks for your interest to my post.

Serhii.

micgarc2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Serhii,

Just to add on to Jenny in your case your ESXI host will be considered a "bare metal server" so follow the same steps to configure a typical bare metal device. You essentially will just have to configure the uplinks to connect to the ACI leaf(s).

1) Configure access polices 

- Create Leaf Profile

- Create Interface Profile and associate correct port blocks (under access port selector)

- Create Interface Policy Group and tie it to that access port selector

2) Associate AAEP to interface policy group

3) Tie Physical domain to AEEP 

4) Associate VLAN pool to physical domain

5) Create EPG which will simulate your portgroup in vCenter

6) Associate the BD (with a VRF) to EPG

7) Next, tie the physical domain to the EPG

8) Create static binding and encap vlan 

9) Now in vCenter you will just have to make sure the portgroup on your dVS has that specific vlan tagged

10) If the GW for your VMs are living ACI then also create a BD subnet as well.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Michael G.

Thank you for participating in the Cisco Support Forum for ACI! If you have other questions related to this post, please let us know. If this response answers your questions, please mark this post "answered" and assign a rating to the response(s) provided. This will help notify other viewers that your question(s) is answered and this helps us provide better responses for this and future questions.

Hello Michael.

I have answered to Jenny. And that my answer to You.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License