cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy APIC config to new APIC

dodgerfan78
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, what is the easiest/best way to copy a modified APIC config from one cluster to another? I have 2 APIC clusters, one is configured. The Second one will have all the same policies except different IP addresses on the bridge domains and L3Outs, etc. 

I have tried pulling the entire thing from API using Postman, but even after changing IP addresses this is not in a format that can be "POST"ed back to the new one. Basically some items listed as children in the GETs are not able to be children in the POSTs. 

Can I do a config import/export? Can I modify the exported file and import to new APIC?

Thanks,

Bryan

7 Replies 7

stcorry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Bryan! 

Have you tried to right click on the Tenant and do a 'Save As'? Be sure to do 'Configuration Only' and 'Subtree' Options. 

You should be able to edit the IP addresses found in the resulting file and Post it with Postman or in the second fabric right click and 'Post' to the new fabric. Be sure to edit the DN to simply 'uni/'.

Please see the attachments for an illustration. 

Thanks. But what about all the Access and Fabric policies?

I've had good luck exporting a fabric configuration and then importing it into a new fabric or into a lab or simulator.  You get everything, including all the Fabric and Access policies.     If you want a more structured approach check out GitHub. There are some nice Postman collections there you can customize for the Fabric constructs.

Thanks all. What I ended up doing was SSH to apic and doing "show run" then modifying that and pasting to new apic. I am in process of verifying everything. Some things were not in proper order so I am hoping I did not miss anything...

I would advice on not using an entire cnfiguration from another fabric or modifying the single configuration file.  Reasons are it is easy to make syntax errors and miss things.  I would suggest saving the .xml configuration for each policy that you want and then using the APIC using POSTMAN or other Rest API app to add to the second fabric.

There is more initial work up front but then you save your APIs in a POSTMAN folder and then you can run a "batch" of API calls to the second fabric.  It also gives you more flexibility on selecting individual policies.

I have included sample screenshots.

Cheers!

T.

Good Tip.  Thanks!

And I did forget to mention that the best results have been across the same ACI version.  Crossing versions with imports in many cases (particularly if versions are far apart) leads to unexpected results (as you would expect).

This is way I ended up doing it. Thanks!

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License