Views
Helpful
Replies

Create vPC from two FEXes to one device

jkalen83a
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to create a vPC using two FEXes instead of LEAFs. The GUI steps are pretty obvious when creating a vPC with two LEAFs, but using two FEXes it's not as clear.

Been trying to Google a quickstep guide, but I can't find anything so I'll try my luck here instead.

Best regards,

Johan Kalén

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

With ACI and the n9k in ACI mode, the only supported configuration for FEX is straight through from the leafs. using two leafs and two fex in this topology, a host can vPC attach to two FEXes in vPC host mode. 

its a new feature in 1.1(1j) code, i will try to find documentation on this feature and reply to this post.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

With ACI and the n9k in ACI mode, the only supported configuration for FEX is straight through from the leafs. using two leafs and two fex in this topology, a host can vPC attach to two FEXes in vPC host mode. 

its a new feature in 1.1(1j) code, i will try to find documentation on this feature and reply to this post.

Hope this helps!

Great!

Yeah, the two FEXes are connected to two leafs in the backend. It's a Cisco WLC, so I'll double check for LACP compatibility too.

Thanks!

Hi DPITA,

Are there any limit when using vPC on FEX ?

Hello!

Yes there is a limit, like all good things in life =)

Physically, I believe only 8 per leaf and 120 per fabric. Number of vPC is 320 in total i believe, don't think it is specific to FEX or not but definitely counts. Here is the link for the scalability guide for version 1j

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/verified-scalability/b_Verified_Scalability_BRelease.html#reference_D442EE55E7DD48099E5850CCF282C7F3

Hope that helps!

Hi DPITA,

Some information from your link :

FEX VPC

Maximum EPGs behind FEX VPC port

N/A

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License