Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleting Portgroup from DVS switch

subashchandran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Any idea , how to remove the Portgroup from the DVS switch in the ACI.

Basically i need to cleanup the Portgroups.

Thanks

Subash

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Subash,

Verification on the CLI can be done using "show vlan extended" on the leafs. After you've removed the VMM domain association, the VLAN for that EPG should no longer be on the leaf. You can also verify on vCenter and the APIC GUI that the port group has been deleted.

The easiest way to remove the VMM domain association is via the GUI. In the next release for ACI the option for removing the association will be available from the APIC command line. 

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

lpember
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Subash,

To remove the port group you just need to remove the VMM domain association under the EPG associated with that port group in ACI. This can be found under Tenants > Application Profiles > EPG > Domains.

Make sure to remove any VMs from the port group in vCenter before deleting.

-Leigh

Thanks Leigh...

Any Cli command is there for removing PG and verification as well.

Subash,

Verification on the CLI can be done using "show vlan extended" on the leafs. After you've removed the VMM domain association, the VLAN for that EPG should no longer be on the leaf. You can also verify on vCenter and the APIC GUI that the port group has been deleted.

The easiest way to remove the VMM domain association is via the GUI. In the next release for ACI the option for removing the association will be available from the APIC command line. 

Hi Ipember

I have deleted it from EPG but it still can be seen in the vCenter and I am getting alerts in APIC that the portgroup is there but no attached to any EPG.

Refreshing inventory doesn't fix it - how can I get rid of the port-group?

Hi,

do you have VMs still connected to those port-groups. If so, I believe APIC cannot delete them from the DVS even if you remove the EPGs. That would explain the alerts.

Regards,

Nik

No, there is no VMs - it is a new build

Did you create all portgroups from APIC or did you use vCenter?

all those that I want to delete were created in APIC

Hmmm... I'm running out of ideas.

Can you provide the full Fault details?

Look at the screenshot

That's strange!

I get the exact same error when I delete an EPG without first removing the VMs from the portgroup. You said the portgroup is clean so that should be fine.

Can you make sure teh VMM domain controller is in an online state (VM Networking > VMware > SESK-VDS-VMM > Controllers? Maybe you have connectivity issues between APIC and vCenter but then again how would APIC know which portgroups exist and which not...

You can also go further down the path and figure out if the Portgroups folder reveals any mysterious information.

I think a quick and dirty workaround would be deleting the portgroups from the DVS via vCenter but I get that this is not really a solution...

Are you using a custom username? or the default admin?

i wonder if you don't have the ability to delete and the API call from the APIC fails. 

We have a custom name as vCenter login... I think I will ask the server people to delete those port-groups and see what happens. Maybe it is some sort of permission error but then why did it let me add them if they can't be deleted

i agree its strange that it was created but not deleted

here is some info on the privileges required for VMM integration. i suggest you open a case with TAC to look into this issue or a case with vmware to take a look at the logs and see if the APIC call was received to delete the port groups. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/virtualization/b_ACI_Virtualization_Guide_2_0_1x/b_ACI_Virtualization_Guide_2_0_1x_chapter_011.html#concept_4954018D4D4943BBBB565949752BA1F9

• Alarms

• Distributed Switch

• dvPort Group

• Folder

• Host

• Host.Configuration.Advanced settings

• Host.Local operations.Reconfigure virtual machine

• Host.Configuration.Network configuration

• Network

• Virtual machine

• Virtual machine.Configuration.Modify device settings

• Virtual machine.Configuration.Settings