cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS labels for user tenants

michgri
Level 1
Level 1

So I can configure the default DNS profile and apply that as a label to the oob VRF in the management tenant and get the APIC and leafs to use DNS servers through the out of band management network.

I'm confused by the use of DNS labels in tenants, though. I can't seem to find any documentation on this. Does using DNS labels inside a tenant VRF do anything at all? 

Or should I just configure the appropriate contracts to use DNS through an L3out or as a shared service to a DNS server in another tenant?

3 Replies 3

peterzhang
Level 1
Level 1

DNS labels in the VRF allows your leaf to be able to use the DNS servers to resolve domain names. Put in exactly your DNS profile name.

Another note on this, I see you are using the default which is good. Just a heads up, do not create a custom DNS profile. I had a customer try to do this and it breaks DNS. Only the "default" profile for DNS is supported. There was a bug filed to throw a fault if you try to configure something other than the default (CSCvh13005) but it still actually lets you configure it.

This is actually day 1 behavior: CSCup90151

Thanks! (Although I don't have permission to see that bug, I did test it out and you are correct.)

I have to admit it's a bit confusing, though; why can I configure it in every VRF if it really only applies to the leafs? Minor quibble, though.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License