cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does ACI fabric support native FC?

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

Nexus 93180YC-FX has the support for FCoE and Native FC and specsheet also shows it can be used as a Leaf switch. So does ACI support native FC now?

Second question, I remember there are radio buttons on APIC GUI for selecting "ethernet" or "fc" but I can not remember which page they are on...Maybe that is the option to configure native FC in APIC?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I checked the 3.0 release notes and I don't see any support for native FC support.   You are correct the switch currently support native FC in NX-OS mode but not in ACI mode even on the latest release.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

ACI currently only supports FCoE, it does not support FC.

ACI Release notes

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/release/notes/apic_rn_201.html

ACI 2.0(1) supports Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) traffic through direct connections between hosts and F port-enabled interfaces and direct connections between the FCF device and an NP port-enabled interface on ACI leaf switches.

Please let me know if this answers your question

Okey, even the version 3.x doesnot have native FC support? If so, the N93xx-FX can only do native FC in no-OS mode?

I checked the 3.0 release notes and I don't see any support for native FC support.   You are correct the switch currently support native FC in NX-OS mode but not in ACI mode even on the latest release.

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Regarding your second question, when you create a new BD it give you the option to select FC or Regular, this setting again is for setting the BD to use FCoE.   See attach screenshot.

Might be issue on my phone, I cannot see the attachment but I did find that screen on apic. Thanks.

maheskum@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

From ACI release 4.0 there is support for Native FC (32G) on N9K-C93180YC-FX switch.

More details can be found in below link.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/4-x/L2-configuration/Cisco-APIC-Layer-2-Configuration-Guide-401/Cisco-APIC-Layer-2-Configuration-Guide-401_chapter_01001.html

Regards,

Mahesh Kumar

Thanks! Good to know. But now the question is will ACI 4.0.x be recommended for production?

Yes ACI 4.0.x is recommended for Production. 

Hi Cisco Team, is it possible to connect the Storage directly to the Leafs without the FCF? If this is all a FCOE deployment, where ports to the Hosts and Storage are both Ethernet ports. 

Hi,

As of now FCF is must, because ACI fabric do support FC/FCoE NPV mode only.

To support your requirement, connecting Storage directly to the Leaf without the FCF, Switch mode support is required on ACI Leaf. Currently ACI Fabric don't support FC/FCoE Switch mode.

Hoping it clarifies your query.

Regards,

Mahesh Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License