cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

downlink ports on Nexus 9348GC-FXP

sandevsingh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, We have the Nexus 9348GC-FXP as our leaf switches in our ACI fabric. It`s documentation says that it has 48 100/1000-Megabit 1GBASE-T downlink ports, 4 10-/25-Gigabit SFP28 downlink ports, and 2 40-/100-Gigabit QSFP28 uplink ports.

Can the 4 x 10G ports which are stated as a downlink be used to connect to other network infrastructure like Switches or Routers? Idea is to use this switch as a border leaf, but this downlink thing is concerning me!

Thnx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Sandev,

The quick answer to your question

Can the 4 x 10G ports which are stated as a downlink be used to connect to other network infrastructure like Switches or Routers? 

is Yes.

The default configuration for the 9348GC-FXP is indeed as you described:

• 48 x 100M/1G BASE-T downlinks
  • 4 x 10/25-Gbps SFP28 downlinks
  • 2 x 40/100-Gbps QSFP28 uplinks

In ACI, Uplinks mean Fabric ports - ie the ports that the Leaf switches use to connect to the Spine switches.  Servers, External Routers, External Switches, Firewalls, ADCs, Hypervisors - everything eles connects to Downlink ports.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Sandev,

The quick answer to your question

Can the 4 x 10G ports which are stated as a downlink be used to connect to other network infrastructure like Switches or Routers? 

is Yes.

The default configuration for the 9348GC-FXP is indeed as you described:

• 48 x 100M/1G BASE-T downlinks
  • 4 x 10/25-Gbps SFP28 downlinks
  • 2 x 40/100-Gbps QSFP28 uplinks

In ACI, Uplinks mean Fabric ports - ie the ports that the Leaf switches use to connect to the Spine switches.  Servers, External Routers, External Switches, Firewalls, ADCs, Hypervisors - everything eles connects to Downlink ports.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

I know I am replying an old close thread but wonder if you have a linked doc to show the 4x10Gbps ports on N9348GC-FXP are ACI downlinks? The datasheet from Cisco: 

"... The 48 1GBASE-T downlink ports on the 9348GC-FXP can be configured to work as 100-Mbps, 1-Gbps ports. The 4 ports of SFP28 can be configured as 1/10/25-Gbps and the 2 ports of QSFP28 can be configured as 40- and 100-Gbps ports... "

Also the product specification from the datasheet only shows "100-Mbps and 1-Gbps speedsDownlink supported speeds for 9348GC-FXP...

Hi,

I managed to find this in the hardware installation guide (Link), which does mention that the VIC 1225 on the APIC supports connection with optical downlink ports on the N9K-C9348GC-FXP.

Also, I have yet seen any fabric port (spine-facing) running at 10Gbps.

Hope this should answer your question.

n9k-9348gc-fxp-hw-install.png

Thanks, that does help. 

10Gbps ports could be used for uplinks on leaf but just no one uses them that way...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License