Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual homed physical server connectivity on ACI Fabric

netbeginner
Level 2
Level 2

Dear All, 

We are connecting a bare metal server ( physical server) with dual homed to ACI fabric leaf switches.

Eg.

--> Leaf Switch-01(Eth1/10) with Port-1 of physical server.

--> Leaf Switch-02(Eth1/15) with Port-2 of physical server.

We need suggestion with configuration steps as port numbers on both leafs switches are different and probably not configure under single policy/profile.

Rgds

4 Replies 4

Will your bare-metal server bundle its interfaces as in a port-channel fashion (either with LACP or not) or it will just do active/standby interfaces?

Hi, 

As per my information from our compute team it would be active-passive at server end. 

But still requesting to share and infact good to have  both vPC (either with lacp or without

lacp) and active-passive configurations steps.

Regards

Hi @netbeginner ,

If your server team is telling you that the two uplinks will not be bundled in any way, then you don't need to worry about a vPC down to the server.  You can configure standard interfaces (trunk or access) and static path to the EPGs you need too support on that server.

Having said that you can see how vPCs are configured in ACI at the link below.

https://unofficialaciguide.com/2018/04/10/aci-vpc-in-aci/

Lastly regardless, its a very good idea to match your interfaces on your leafs.

--> Leaf Switch-01(Eth1/10) with Port-1 of physical server.

--> Leaf Switch-02(Eth1/10) with Port-2 of physical server.

Should you ever require a vPC down to that server or a new one, keeping the interfaces consistent is a much cleaner approach and lessens your configuration.   I can't urge you to take that approach enough!

Hi Claudia, 

I agree with your point but understand some limitation this is why our data center team has alotted 02 different interfaces.

Well...while searching today I came to know that this can also be achieved from path Fabric --> access policies --> quick launch --> interface , pc and vPC....but full configurations was not available there.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License