Views
Helpful
Replies

Esxi host not directly connected to ACI fabric

ambi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Is it possible to connect an ESXi host to the ACI fabric via an intermediate switch when no AVS is being used?

Will it work if we allow the infra vlan / dynamic vlan pools on the links between the intermediate switch and the Leaf 

thanks 

Ambi 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello! Thanks for using support forums

Standard VMM domain with a switch in between is definitely possible. Actually, ACI supports only that one hop in between. One needs to make sure to have LLDP or CDP enabled on the hypervisor NIC(in ESXI/vCenter, go to the DVS and expand the uplink then click on the little blue "i" for more information), On the switch in between, and on the ACI port connected to the switch. This allows ACI to build adjacencies and dynamically deploy VLANs. Obviously the intermediate switch needs to trunk all the VLANs in the VLAN pool used by the VMM domain

Does that help? What other questions do you have?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

If I understand your question correctly, you would have to have the intermediate switch to be in pass through mode (i.e. ideally Layer 1)

Thanks,

Sharmeelan

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
HiIs it possible to connect an ESXi host to the ACI fabric via an intermediate switch when no AVS is being used?Will it work if we allow the infra vlan / dynamic vlan pools on the links between the intermediate switch and the Leaf thanks Ambi 

Hello Ambi,

As per my understanding ,It is as if like connecting a ESXi with having l2 switch with L2 connect on ACI configuration functionality at ACI Leaf.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello! Thanks for using support forums

Standard VMM domain with a switch in between is definitely possible. Actually, ACI supports only that one hop in between. One needs to make sure to have LLDP or CDP enabled on the hypervisor NIC(in ESXI/vCenter, go to the DVS and expand the uplink then click on the little blue "i" for more information), On the switch in between, and on the ACI port connected to the switch. This allows ACI to build adjacencies and dynamically deploy VLANs. Obviously the intermediate switch needs to trunk all the VLANs in the VLAN pool used by the VMM domain

Does that help? What other questions do you have?

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License