Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric running 3.2, going to discover 4.2 for Multi-Pod

tuanquangnguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I have a client with their production, single-pod fabric running 3.2(3), the one which can be directly upgraded to 4.2(7q). We are proposing upgrading the production fabric first, then going to introduce the other Pod because it is net-new. The new hardware are being shipped and not ready on-site, however according to the BoM it would be 4.2 anyway, so we figure upgrading the production fabric would be done sooner or later.

However, during EoY, they are afraid that upgrading the production fabric. They are proposing if we could introduce the new pod (running 4.2) to the fabric (running 3.2), then only upgrade the production fabric once everything has been migrated to the new pod.

Is it possible to discover new hardware with such mismatched versions?

P/s: no 5.2 train since their production Spines are not supported.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @tuanquangnguyen 

APIC versions cannot be older then the fabric nodes. In other words, answer to your question should be no.

However, I think a solution might be to upgrade only your APICs to 4.2.7, discover the new pod, migrate to new pod, finish the upgrade of pod1.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @tuanquangnguyen 

APIC versions cannot be older then the fabric nodes. In other words, answer to your question should be no.

However, I think a solution might be to upgrade only your APICs to 4.2.7, discover the new pod, migrate to new pod, finish the upgrade of pod1.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License