cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Factory reset APIC and nodes

Madura Malwatte
Level 4
Level 4

I ran into an issue where the APIC/nodes were using an old Infra VLAN. Tried to reset the devices, but it still kept coming back with the old Infra VLAN. 

On version 3.x what is the correct procedure for both APIC and nodes to factory reset the devices to wipe any existing Infra VLAN info?

I believe we tried "acidiag touch clean", but that did not help wipe the Infra VLAN info. Where in the documentation does it mention the steps to factory reset in version 3.x? I was only able something in the troubleshooting guide here - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/troubleshooting/b_APIC_Troubleshooting/b_APIC_Troubleshooting_chapter_01001.html but looks like this is for version 1.x.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Manuel,

The document you referred to is still relevant for v3.x.  Last week I did three successul complete resets using the method below:  My method requires that you have OOB management or console access to each switch and CIMC management or console access to each APIC.

Step 1: Wipe the switches.

On each leaf and spine switch, run the setup-clean-config.sh script. DO NOT reload the switch yet - if you do, the switch will re-learn its config from the APIC and you'll need to return to Step 1 again later.

I was able to power down each switch after the setup-clean-config.sh script had run, however this is not strictly recessary, but it does make the process more failsafe. 

Spine201# setup-clean-config.sh
In progress
In progress
In progress
In progress
In progress
Done
Spine201#

Step 2: Wipe the APICs.

Run the following commands on each APIC:

apic# acidiag touch clean
This command will wipe out this device. Proceed? [y/N] y
apic# acidiag touch setup
This command will reset the device configuration, Proceed? [y/N] y

DO not reload the APICs until the above has been completed on each APIC, otherwise if one APIC reloads before you have reloaded the others, it may re-join the cluster and re-learn its configuration.

Step 3: Reload the APICs.

Run the following command simultaneously (or within a couple of minutes) on each APIC: 

apic# acidiag reboot
This command will restart the this device, Proceed? [y/N] y

Step 4: Reload the Switches.

While the APICs are reloading, you can run the reload command on the switches, but be prepared for a lot of noise from the spines.  In my case where I was able to power off the switches, I did not power on the switches until I had completed the initial setup on each APIC, and then I powered them on in the order I wanted them to be discovered - that way I KNEW which switch was being discovered in the fabric discovery process.

Step 5: Reconfigure the APICs.

When the APICs have reloaded, go through the initial setup on each one, making sure you are consistent with the values you use for the infrastructure VLAN and TEP pools.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

david.j.evans
Level 1
Level 1

To remove all config and wipe the APIC, login to console with monitor and keyboard and use:

acidiag touch setup

acidiag reboot

If you do this on all three APICs you will have a completely fresh environment to work with

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Manuel,

The document you referred to is still relevant for v3.x.  Last week I did three successul complete resets using the method below:  My method requires that you have OOB management or console access to each switch and CIMC management or console access to each APIC.

Step 1: Wipe the switches.

On each leaf and spine switch, run the setup-clean-config.sh script. DO NOT reload the switch yet - if you do, the switch will re-learn its config from the APIC and you'll need to return to Step 1 again later.

I was able to power down each switch after the setup-clean-config.sh script had run, however this is not strictly recessary, but it does make the process more failsafe. 

Spine201# setup-clean-config.sh
In progress
In progress
In progress
In progress
In progress
Done
Spine201#

Step 2: Wipe the APICs.

Run the following commands on each APIC:

apic# acidiag touch clean
This command will wipe out this device. Proceed? [y/N] y
apic# acidiag touch setup
This command will reset the device configuration, Proceed? [y/N] y

DO not reload the APICs until the above has been completed on each APIC, otherwise if one APIC reloads before you have reloaded the others, it may re-join the cluster and re-learn its configuration.

Step 3: Reload the APICs.

Run the following command simultaneously (or within a couple of minutes) on each APIC: 

apic# acidiag reboot
This command will restart the this device, Proceed? [y/N] y

Step 4: Reload the Switches.

While the APICs are reloading, you can run the reload command on the switches, but be prepared for a lot of noise from the spines.  In my case where I was able to power off the switches, I did not power on the switches until I had completed the initial setup on each APIC, and then I powered them on in the order I wanted them to be discovered - that way I KNEW which switch was being discovered in the fabric discovery process.

Step 5: Reconfigure the APICs.

When the APICs have reloaded, go through the initial setup on each one, making sure you are consistent with the values you use for the infrastructure VLAN and TEP pools.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thanks !

it is quiete importan reload times make sure any switch syncs with old state from another.

for factory reset command is this

setup-clean-config.sh

Not quite sure why you are repeating information straight from the solution above. Was Step 1 not written clearly enough?

tjekov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also you can break into rommon and clean up with 'cmdline clear_config'

loader>cmdline clear_config

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License