cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware upgrade for a RMAed switch in ACI

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

APIC Firmware management page does allow to set a default firmware for the switches which should automatically upgrade/downgrade the switches registered to the controllers. However I am not so clear regarding the scenario below:

Hypothetically speaking, I have a RMA switch shipped from Cisco and it has firmware v11.2 loaded but my ACI fabric is running v3.2/v13.2 already (default firmware is set to v13.2). According to the ACI upgrade tool, the normal upgrade path would be "1.1(2) → 1.3(2) → 2.1(3) → 2.2(4p/q/r) → 3.2(9)". So do I need to upload and add all those intermediate firmware images to APIC firmware repository before registering the RMA switch to the fabric? OR I just need the v13.2 image in APIC firmware repository and the RMA switch would be upgraded directly to v13.2 upon registration with the same switch ID/Name?

Thanks,

/S

2 Replies 2

Timothy Rothenberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The problem you will run into is the BIOS and FPGA code won't be updated.  If there's a mismatch between those versions and the ACI versions, the switch will probably boot, but you'll need TAC support to manually upgrade the BIOS/FPGA.

I thought firmware upgrade through APIC would take care of the BIOS and FPGA upgrade. Am I wrong?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License