cancel
Announcements
configure & troubleshoot anyconnect
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Greenfield VDS Integration with ACI (no UCS)

I'm having a very hard time finding documentation on setting up a new ESX envionment in ACI.  We aren't using UCS and want to use VDS VMM integration.  Everything I find seems to be very simple (ex Create the VMM domain).  My understanding of the procedure is that I need to create a physical domain connection for the ESX and VCenter first so that the ESX can be built and so that vCenter can manage the ESX but I still have a lot of questions.  It doesn't help that I don't have a lot of experience with ESX.  I'm sure that I could figure these things out by playing around with it but as ESX is managed by another group I would rather already know what I'm doing before I start.

- When I create the VMM domain and the new VDS, how does the administrator move the management vlan and uplinks to it (as vCenter is still managing the switch)

- Do I need more vlans than the management one?

- When I create the dynamic Vlan pool, I assume that I will be using these for the management, vmotion etc... vlans.

Are there any documents that give the whole procedure from start to finish from the point of view of both the ESX administrator and the ACI administrator?

Everyone's tags (6)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Beginner

Re: Greenfield VDS Integration with ACI (no UCS)

My understanding of the procedure is that I need to create a physical domain connection for the ESX and VCenter first so that the ESX can be built and so that vCenter can manage the ESX but I still have a lot of questions. 

This is correct. You need to create an EPG for ESX and Vcenter Mgmt and do static port binding. Once you have the Vcenter up and configured, you are ready to integrate that with the ACI. Requirement is only to have IP reachability between ACI inband Mgmt EPG and Vcenter.

- When I create the VMM domain and the new VDS, how does the administrator move the management vlan and uplinks to it (as vCenter is still managing the switch)

The VMM domain that you create in ACI is actually a new VDS that gets pushed into the Vcenter. The virtualization administrator associates hosts to the VDS created by the APIC and selects which vmnics to use for the specific VDS. The configuration of the VDS uplinks are performed from the APIC controller by changing the vSwitch configuration from the Attach Entity Profile (AEP) that is associated with the VMM domain. You can find the AEP in the APIC GUI in the Fabric Access Policies configuration area.

No additional vlan required for the integration.

- When I create the dynamic Vlan pool, I assume that I will be using these for the management, vmotion etc... vlans.

For mgmt, vmotion etc., static vlan pool is configured. Dynamic vlan pool is used only for data. While you create an EPG and associate VMM domain with that EPG, a port group is pushed in to the VDS corresponding to this EPG and vlan for that port group is allocated from the dynamic vlan pool attached to the VMM domain at the time of VMM configuration.

Here is the detailed document for ACI VMM Integration:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/3-x/virtualization/b_ACI_Virtualization_Guide_3_0_1/b_ACI_Virtualization_Guide_3_0_1_chapter_011.html

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Jayesh

1 REPLY 1
Beginner

Re: Greenfield VDS Integration with ACI (no UCS)

My understanding of the procedure is that I need to create a physical domain connection for the ESX and VCenter first so that the ESX can be built and so that vCenter can manage the ESX but I still have a lot of questions. 

This is correct. You need to create an EPG for ESX and Vcenter Mgmt and do static port binding. Once you have the Vcenter up and configured, you are ready to integrate that with the ACI. Requirement is only to have IP reachability between ACI inband Mgmt EPG and Vcenter.

The VMM domain that you create in ACI is actually a new VDS that gets pushed into the Vcenter. The virtualization administrator associates hosts to the VDS created by the APIC and selects which vmnics to use for the specific VDS. The configuration of the VDS uplinks are performed from the APIC controller by changing the vSwitch configuration from the Attach Entity Profile (AEP) that is associated with the VMM domain. You can find the AEP in the APIC GUI in the Fabric Access Policies configuration area.

No additional vlan required for the integration.

For mgmt, vmotion etc., static vlan pool is configured. Dynamic vlan pool is used only for data. While you create an EPG and associate VMM domain with that EPG, a port group is pushed in to the VDS corresponding to this EPG and vlan for that port group is allocated from the dynamic vlan pool attached to the VMM domain at the time of VMM configuration.

Here is the detailed document for ACI VMM Integration:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/3-x/virtualization/b_ACI_Virtualization_Guide_3_0_1/b_ACI_Virtualization_Guide_3_0_1_chapter_011.html

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Jayesh

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
June's Community Spotlight Awards