Views
Helpful
Replies

Guidance on using Medium or Large APIC cluster

vv0bbLeS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am due to refresh one of our datacenters' APIC clusters. Currently it is a Large cluster (APIC-L2). However we have recently reduced the number of Leafs in that fabric from 24 down to 6 Leafs. There are 2 Spines in the fabric also.

With only 6 Leafs and 2 Spines left in the fabric, I was considering going with the APIC-M3 rather than the L3 for my new APIC cluster, but I haven't been able to find any guidance online as to how I should make that decision. Does it depend solely on the number of Leafs, or the number of Spines, or is it the number of endpoints, or a combination of those, or maybe something else?

0xD2A6762E
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're running less than 200 Leafs, then you'll be fine with a Medium size APICs.  Scalability found in this guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/dcn/aci/apic/5x/verified-scalability/cisco-aci-verified-scalability-guide-521.html

Robert

View solution in original post

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The limitation is based on whichever comes first.  Up to 200 Leaf Switches (device totals) or up to 1200 [active] Leaf Interfaces.  With most typical Top of Rack (ToR) deployment switch ports are rarely max'd out.  This gives you some flexibility.  These resources are soft limits - will things fail if you have 201 switches? -  no.  1201 active ports - also no.  It's a general test & validated support limit but obviously each deployment varies with features & resource utilizations.  These limits are to ensure the best performance and that the APIC resources are sized accordingly.

Robert  

Robert

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're running less than 200 Leafs, then you'll be fine with a Medium size APICs.  Scalability found in this guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/dcn/aci/apic/5x/verified-scalability/cisco-aci-verified-scalability-guide-521.html

Robert

Ah ok excellent! I saw that document but somehow missed the table where it showed the numbers of medium and large fabrics. Thanks!

0xD2A6762E

@Robert Burns  I ran across something and I need a bit more guidance on this topic. I read the ACI Scalability Guide you posted above and indeed it does say that a Medium APIC cluster supports up to 200 leafs.

However, I read in this APIC Data Sheet that the APIC-CLUSTER-M3 supports "up to 1200 edge ports" which if each Leaf had 48 ports would only be 25 Leafs, not 200.

Am I reading that correctly, or how do these 2 specs reconcile? We are about to order our clusters and I want to be sure I'm not missing something here : )

0xD2A6762E

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The limitation is based on whichever comes first.  Up to 200 Leaf Switches (device totals) or up to 1200 [active] Leaf Interfaces.  With most typical Top of Rack (ToR) deployment switch ports are rarely max'd out.  This gives you some flexibility.  These resources are soft limits - will things fail if you have 201 switches? -  no.  1201 active ports - also no.  It's a general test & validated support limit but obviously each deployment varies with features & resource utilizations.  These limits are to ensure the best performance and that the APIC resources are sized accordingly.

Robert  

Robert

Ah ok that makes sense. So I can basically read it as "up to 200 Leafs or 1200 edge ports, whichever comes first." And OK yes thanks for pointing out it's a semi-soft limitation as utilization can vary, etc! We will try to stick with what's recommended. You've cleared up my confusion! Thanks again!

0xD2A6762E
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License