cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do APICs in a cluster communicate with each other (in particular DB exchange)?

rund
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i can't find any usefull details on this.

How do APICs in a cluster communicate with each other over multiple leaves? Somehow they must synchronize their database (sharding), but how is that done in detail (default operation)? Are they using a VXLAN overlay network? Is the Infra- or the Management-Tenant used? Is the traffic sent somewhere in-band?

Thanks a lot!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Stefan,

The APICs communicate via the infra vlan using the infra network. They get assign an IP from the TEP pool that is configure during the initial setup.    The APICs would get assigned the first IPs of this pool. 

If you want to know know the IPs for the controllers you can ssh to one of the APICs and the the “show controller’ command.   

If you want to know the IPs from the nodes, from the apic you can run the “acidiag fnveread” command.

From the leaf nodes you can reach the ip of the controller using the overlay-1 VRF. You can ping the controller IPs using the “iping -V overlay-1 <ip address of controller>

Please let me know if this is what you were looking for.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Stefan,

The APICs communicate via the infra vlan using the infra network. They get assign an IP from the TEP pool that is configure during the initial setup.    The APICs would get assigned the first IPs of this pool. 

If you want to know know the IPs for the controllers you can ssh to one of the APICs and the the “show controller’ command.   

If you want to know the IPs from the nodes, from the apic you can run the “acidiag fnveread” command.

From the leaf nodes you can reach the ip of the controller using the overlay-1 VRF. You can ping the controller IPs using the “iping -V overlay-1 <ip address of controller>

Please let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Very helpful, indeed. Exactly what I was searching for. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License