Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you statically bind an ACI Leaf port to an End Point Group in APIC GUI

Lamin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am working on an ACI Fabric project and fairly very new to the technology.

Most of the service provisioning for the platform is automated. Currently, EPGs are statically binded to the ports ports from the Leaf switches.

I tried to find out how you can manually apply EPG static binding in APIC but still unable to get a grasp on how this is done.

Is it possible to do this via the APIC and if yes how would you do this ?

Thank you

APIC version 4.1 or latetst

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Lamin ,

There are two ways to bind endpoints to EPGs in APIC GUI

1. Naviagte to Tenants > YourTenant >> Applicaiton Profiles > YourApplicationProfile > Application EPGs > YourEPG > Static Ports
    • Here you can add or delete existing static bindings by clicking the action icon (hammer and spanner) on the right hand side of the screen.
    • Note: If adding a new binding, be sure to also associate the EPG with a Physical Domain that contains the statically mapped port in its Access Policy Chain
  2. Navigate to Fabric > Access Policies >> Policies > Global > Atttachable Access Entity Profiles > YourAAEP 
    • Here you can see any Application EPGs that have been statically bound to the entire Access Policy Chain in the work pane section Application EPGs , and add more bindings by clicking the + symbol to the right of the Application EPGs area.
    • Note: Mapping the AAEP to EPGs in this fashion is sometimes called mapping up, whereas the former method (1 above) is called mapping down
    • Note: As in method 1, if adding a new binding, make sure your EPGs is also associated with a Physical Domain that is linked to this AAEP

I hope this helps. 

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Lamin ,

There are two ways to bind endpoints to EPGs in APIC GUI

1. Naviagte to Tenants > YourTenant >> Applicaiton Profiles > YourApplicationProfile > Application EPGs > YourEPG > Static Ports
    • Here you can add or delete existing static bindings by clicking the action icon (hammer and spanner) on the right hand side of the screen.
    • Note: If adding a new binding, be sure to also associate the EPG with a Physical Domain that contains the statically mapped port in its Access Policy Chain
  2. Navigate to Fabric > Access Policies >> Policies > Global > Atttachable Access Entity Profiles > YourAAEP 
    • Here you can see any Application EPGs that have been statically bound to the entire Access Policy Chain in the work pane section Application EPGs , and add more bindings by clicking the + symbol to the right of the Application EPGs area.
    • Note: Mapping the AAEP to EPGs in this fashion is sometimes called mapping up, whereas the former method (1 above) is called mapping down
    • Note: As in method 1, if adding a new binding, make sure your EPGs is also associated with a Physical Domain that is linked to this AAEP

I hope this helps. 

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

If I may ask - 

For static binding to physical interfaces, are there any drawbacks to going to Fabric > Inventory > Pod > [leaf] > Interfaces > Physical Interfaces, right-clicking the interface desired and selecting "Deploy Statc EPG"?

Hi @weylin.piegorsch 

If I may ask - 

For static binding to physical interfaces, are there any drawbacks to going to Fabric > Inventory > Pod > [leaf] > Interfaces > Physical Interfaces, right-clicking the interface desired and selecting "Deploy Statc EPG"?

No this is functionally the same as (from my earlier answer) 

Naviagte to Tenants > YourTenant >> Applicaiton Profiles > YourApplicationProfile > Application EPGs > YourEPG > Static Ports

1. Here you can add or delete existing static bindings by clicking the action icon (hammer and spanner) on the right hand side of the screen.
  2. Note: If adding a new binding, be sure to also associate the EPG with a Physical Domain that contains the statically mapped port in its Access Policy Chain

BUT if you use the Fabric > Inventory > Pod > [leaf] > Interfaces > Physical Interfaces > interface >+ Deploy Static EPG method except it is easier to miss doing point #2 above

@RedNectar wrote:

easier to miss doing point #2 above

That's an interesting observation.  Thank you for the response!

Lamin
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you @RedNectar 

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License