Views
Helpful
Replies

how to boot spine to new image?

Dan Verzaal
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

currently my 2x spine 9336PQ switches are running b and I'd like to run release d, how do we set the boot variables from the prompt?

thanks

CCIE RS 34827
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

To answer your original question now that i know your environment a bit better, you could transfer over d and put it in bootflash: then issue the "setup-clean-config.sh <aci-image.bin>" command. After it finishes the "In progress" and returns to (none)# prompt, issue a simple reload command. 

View solution in original post

Hello,

That command i mentioned is run from ibash. so first boot the aci image from loader with the boot command. then once in ibash. run the setup-bootvars command. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

I would suggest running a policy upgrade through the APIC GUI to version d. Any particular reason or concern why you want to set the boot variables from the prompt?

Please refer to this document on CCO for the upgrade proceedure:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/getting-started/b_APIC_Getting_Started_Guide/b_APIC_Getting_Started_Guide_chapter_011.html

Thank you for using Cisco Support Forums!

Currently I am just setting out our ACI lab and trying to get everything talking.

We have 2xspines connected to 2x leafs, then the 3xAPIC servers are dual connected to the leafs.  I have access to the APIC controller #1 GUI but I dont know if it sees the leafs... the other conrollers, etc. 

Right now the leafs are running (d) and the spines are (b) so I figured I could reload the spines to get them on d before I start verifying the discover process. 

This is all 100% new to me so learning as I go :)

thanks for your help I'll check that doc too

CCIE RS 34827

Its new to all of us but we are hear to help you succeed in your depoyment! =) that being the case, I'm glad to see that the two spines and two leafs are interconnected. I agree, you should upgrade the spines. 

Please take a look at this document for information on the fabric membership process through the GUI. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/getting-started/b_APIC_Getting_Started_Guide/b_APIC_Getting_Started_Guide_chapter_01.html#d25e2040a1635

The discovery process is summed up as such:

APIC1 will discover its directly connected leaf. Once a VTEP is assigned, LLDP will negotiate and discover the Spines connected to the leaf. Once those two spines are added in the fabric membership and receive a VTEP, the final leaf will be discovered and finally if there is an APIC attached the cluster will be complete. 

Hope this helps!

To answer your original question now that i know your environment a bit better, you could transfer over d and put it in bootflash: then issue the "setup-clean-config.sh <aci-image.bin>" command. After it finishes the "In progress" and returns to (none)# prompt, issue a simple reload command. 

I applied the command but they still booted up to (b)

Also, why on my leafs does it always fail to autoboot?  It always comes to the loader> prompt and i must type 'boot aci-n9000-dk9.11.0.1d.bin' for it to boot up. I'm guessing there is missing config somewhere that should point to this file?

thanks,
Dan

CCIE RS 34827

Hello, glad to hear it worked out. The command to set boot variables to avoid it booting into loader is "setup-bootvars <aci-image.bin>" that should take care of the autoboot problem. 

I tried from loader menu and also when it's booted up:

loader > dir

bootflash::

lost+found
  aci-n9000-dk9.11.0.1d.bin
  diag_bootup
  auto-s
  mem_log.txt
  disk_log.txt
  mem_log.txt.old.gz

loader > setup-bootvars aci-n9000-dk9.11.0.1d.bin

Error 27: Unrecognized command

========================================

(none)# dir bootflash
aci-n9000-dk9.11.0.1d.bin  diag_bootup   lost+found   mem_log.txt.old.gz
auto-s                     disk_log.txt  mem_log.txt
(none)# setup-bootvars aci-n9000-dk9.11.0.1d.bin
bash: setup-bootvars: command not found
(none)#

CCIE RS 34827

Hello,

That command i mentioned is run from ibash. so first boot the aci image from loader with the boot command. then once in ibash. run the setup-bootvars command. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License