Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact of reducing dynamic Vlan Pool - used for VMM

Stefan Engel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community,

We currently have the following dynamic vlan pool assigned VMM domain: vlan 1000-1999.

As the assignment is dynamic, we see port-encap for EPG's assigned to VMM all over. 

We are planning to reducing the pool to 1000-1100. 

Question:

will each EPG assigned to the VMM domain, automatically/seamless just assign a new vlan out of the new pool (some are currently using valn-encap above 1100)? 

should we expect any interruption or is this seamless? 

Thanks,

Stefan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Stefan,

I am not sure whether there would be any complications but it's not actually a recommended approach to reduce VLAN Pool.

The following link may help...

Solved: VLAN Pool sizing - Cisco Community

With best regards...
Ashok

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thanks a lot @RedNectar for taking the time & sharing this. All clear now.

Excellent. Thanks a lot, @RedNectar 

With best regards...
Ashok

Chris, wow! You just opened the door to a new way of answering on cisco community.

Bravo!

Sergiu

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To add to Chris' excellent video (video is worth a thousand words) - I did one additional test by "changing" the VLAN range completely.  I know in the OP's case they wanted to reduce the existing range, in my case it was moving the VMM domain to an entirely different range.  It's not as involved as reducing an existing range.  If you have an existing VLAN pool assigned to a VMM domain, you can't change that VLAN pool assigned while it's in use, but you can however add another VLAN range block to the existing pool in use, then remove the original one.  This will cause a very briefly disruption, but the APIC will re-assign all bound EPGs automatically to the new VLAN range, without having to migrate the endpoints out of the Port Groups (to quarantine) and back.  

Summary:

1) Adding/Expanding Existing VLAN Pool: Easy, no impact

2) Reducing Existing Range: Moderate Effort, with moderate impact

3) Changing Existing Pool to different VLAN Range: Easy, brief impact

Robert

Thanks for the additional information @Robert Burns, very helpful! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License