Views
Helpful
Replies

IPN design

Antonio Macia
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I’m working on the IPN definition for a customer who has two Data Centers interconnected via dark fibers (less than 50ms)  and a couple of 6509 in VSS using sup2T per site. Each pod will have two spines. The DCI will be shared with the production traffic.

The solution I was looking at consists of one layer 3 port-channel from each spine to both C6509 in VSS, in this way, should any of the VSS members fail, both spines will remain connected.

Connectivity between sites will use another layer 3 port-channel where one sub-interface will route production traffic using a dedicated VRF and another sub-interface in a different VRF for the IPN traffic.

Supervisors run IOS 151-2.SY2 with Advanced IP Services.

Do you see any constraint in this setup, such as Bidir PIM range or MTU limitations at the 6509?

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If end uer looking to use exiting kit and accept the risk, this should be ok

you can find various chasis and blade EOS, EOL here

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-listing.html

in that you should be ok.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cat 6500 are going to be End of Life. Why not consider Cat 95XX/96XX with StackWise Virtual - is the latest.

BB

Hi,

The customer does not plan to replace the core devices at the moment, so we need to attach to the existing infrastructure.

BTW, I don't see any EoL notice for the 6509 chassis or Sup2T. Where did you get this information from?

Thanks.

If end uer looking to use exiting kit and accept the risk, this should be ok

you can find various chasis and blade EOS, EOL here

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-listing.html

in that you should be ok.

BB

Thank you Balaji,

I've should been more specific. The chassis is the WS-C6509-E, which is not under EoL.

Regards.

Cisco one of the GOLD product 6509-E its been 20 Years  Flawless, we miss it for sure.

BB

Gaurav Gambhir
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Till the Time your IPN device fulfills requirements defined by this guide, you should be ok.

Key things are :

• PIM Bidir Multicast support
  • DHCP relay
  • OSPF
  • Jumbo MTU
  • Routed sub-interfaces

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/application-centric-infrastructure/white-paper-c11-737855.html#_Toc521671377

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License