cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to make a transit VRF by intra VRF route leaking only?

surzn
Level 1
Level 1

I've searched here and there and failed to find someone mentioned this - Maybe that indicates not possible.

But I still wanna have a definite answer: assuming we have 3 VRF - A, B and C. 

Can we leak routes from VRF A to VRF B then leak those(or part of) routes from VRF B to VRF C and vice versa? More than just shared services inside of VRF B.

I know just for 3 VRFs, not really necessary to create such middle man, however, if we have tens of VRFs, having a transit to control route exchange among VRFs makes sense. 

I can tell we should be able archive such target by only using L3out, peering L3out between VRFs - also a tedious work if too many VRFs and involving physical cabling I guess.

Please shed some light on how to solve such situation.

Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes bgp can do this, and its called exactly that; route leaking. I havent got a working example. But i have worked on this many moons ago..

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thank you for your comments Dennis.

I deem it should be possible in theory based on the traditional VRF routing knowledge, just not sure whether ACI will behave the same manner, and no documents I can find mention such - those are either purely shared service or route leaking between 2 VRFs for VRF internal segments. Also the only "transit" way documented is L3out.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License