Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
RedNectar
Engager

Is two Physical APICs plus one vAPIC a supported configuration?

Hi experts,

I had a lab set up as the standard Mini ACI Fabric and Virtual APICs as per the official document.

But because I had a "spare" physical APIC, last time I built the lab I thought I'd try Two physical and one vAPIC.

But the vAPIC just doesn't seem to want to join, and I'm at a loss as how to troubleshoot exactly what is going on. I'm beginning to think that perhaps the system is geared to determining whether the setup is a Standard 3 Physical APIC topology or a Mini ACI Fabric topology is based on whether APIC#2 is physical or virtual.

Most of the troubleshooting documents I've found talk about making sure the Infra VLAN and LLD are configured correctly - LLDP is irrelevant in this situation because the stubborn APIC is a vAPIC

FWIW - this is the situation:

• I am using ACI version 4.2(7f) - the recommended version for topologies with 1generation switches
  • APIC#1 and APIC#2 joined the fabric as per normal
  • APIC#3 (the vAPIC) was configured on an ESXi host using a standard switch 
  • APIC#3 (the vAPIC) has full connectivity on the infra VLAN (can ping 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2) 
  • APIC#3 (the vAPIC) has full connectivity on the OOB network (can ping APIC#1 and APIC#2) 
  • Both APIC#2 and #3 show two instances of error F1410 
    • One instance lists the affected object as:
      • topology/pod-1/node-1/lon/clSzEqObst-2-expand-no_expansion_contender-3-none-undefined-undefined
    • The other instance lists the affected object as: 
      • topology/pod-1/node-2/lon/clSzEqObst-2-expand-cluster_is_stuck_at_size_2-undefined-none-undefined-undefined
    • Both instances of fault F1410 offer the following description
      • Cluster cannot continue to Expand from its current size 2 for the following reason: No expansion contender. The controller ID is 3, the service ID is None, the internal database partition (shard) ID is Undefined and the replica ID is Undefined
  • Additionally, APIC#2 shows four instances of fault F1419, one for each of the following services:
    • proc-nomad, proc-kron, proc-nomad_client and proc-consul - all have the equivalent description of:
      • Service [nomad|kron|nomad_client|proc-consul] failed on apic apic2 of fabric LAB with a hostname apic2

So my initial question is:

• Is two Physical APICs plus one vAPIC a supported configuration?

But implied is also:

• Has anyone successfully setup an ACI fabric with two Physical APICs plus one vAPIC?
  • and if so, do you have any suggestions?

Note: Being Lab equipment it is not under any support contract, so callingTAC is not an option.

RedNectar
aka Chris Welsh

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

4 REPLIES 4
ecsnnsls
Beginner

Hi,

You have mentioned that you have taken care of LLDP but I am not sure if you already did this. Did you disable LLDP on the VICs of the physical APICs?

Hi @ecsnnsls ,

I'm not sure if enabling/disabling LLDP on the VICs of the physical APICs would have anything to do with the situation. Both physical APICs have joined the cluster - quite happily except they can't find APIC3

I really can't find any troubleshooting info about the processes that a vAPIC goes through to join a cluster.

RedNectar
aka Chris Welsh

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

Yes, that's true. There's very little documentation available. For some reason I was thinking APIC2 didn't join the cluster. My bad!

Couple of things off the checklist,

- Did you check the time synchronization on all three apics and the esxi? 

- Also, if you had deployed the VM using OVA, did it take more than 60 mins for the VM to get deployed. In this case we need to use a new passphrase. 

Sorry, this is all I could scavenge from the document. Perhaps someone with more experience in vAPIC has the solution!

Hi @ecsnnsls ,

Good points - and I forgot to mention these in the original:

• Time synchronisation is perfect between the physical APICs and the vAPIC
  • I've wasted so much time on this I can update the passphrase with my eyes closed (almost)

Thanks for trying.

RedNectar
aka Chris Welsh

Content for Community-Ad