Views
Helpful
Replies

L3out to virtual machine with Vmware-Integration

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

Hallo,

I am a blockhead right now in terms of how to integrate a virtual router into aci. I know how to attach physical firewalls with a L3out, however I don't know how to do this with virtual machines.

We have an ESX-environment with AVS (soon AVE) in VXLAN-Mode where I'd like to have virtual machines take over a routing function (Loadbalancer, vASA, VPN-Router). If I create a L3out I need to configure a static path that is related to a physical switchport with a vlan encap, which doesnt't make sense in this environment. Is there any other way?

Would it be different if we had Vmware-Integration in classic vlan mode? I imagine I could use the same VLAN-ID for L3out like I used for the EPG of the Router-VM, but I suppose this would raise a fault, like "encap already in use" or something like that.

Is there any document covering my Usecase?

Best regards

Pille

3 Replies 3

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

Hallo,

is it that nobody knows how to do this or is it unclear what I am asking?

Regards

wantwang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Attach your virtual machine in a different networking"port-group" and avoid using the same vlan as other EPGs.

But I am still confused how to configure the "path" to the fabric.

Hi,

I am doing AVS with vxlan, so there is no vlan encap I could use. But let's assume I'd use classic Vmware DVS I could select a dedicated VLAN/Portgroup for the router vm, but what next?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License