Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3OUT using Static Routes

Hello - I have L3OUT between ACI Leaf switch and an External Router or Firewall. Static route is configured between ACI and Router/Firewall

What is the significance of configuration under Networks -"Create External Network" and Router-Maps/Profile. I read this configuration will define a subnet that is meant to be imported from Outside into Fabric. For me, it looks relevant to dynamic routing protocols like BGP, OSPF, EIGRP but not for Static routes.

Being a static route scenario, if I configure a STATIC ROUTE under Logical Node Profile-->Configured Node, will it be sufficient to establish the traffic between external Router and ACI?

Thanks in advance, RB   

2 Replies 2

Remi Astruc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

"Create External Network" is not specific to dynamic routing. It is used to define the content of the External EPG attached to the L3Out. You will need it with static routes as well. Don't forget to add a contract between the External Network and other EPGs for it to work.

"Routes Maps Profile" is indeed used for tweaking the advertisements and learning of dynamic routes, so you will not need it.

Remi Astruc

Thanks Remi - Now understood the purpose of "Networks" and "Subnet" under this.

Can you help me getting bit more clarity on the Route advertisement and Route received configuration. You said about "Route-map/Profile"

I would take another scenario. I have eBGP configured between ACI Leaf and External Router. Here there is 2 option in route-map/Profile

1) default-export. It is configured with 3 prefixes (Eg: 10.100.1.0/24, 10.100.2.0/24, 10.100.3.0/24)

2) There is no "default-import" configured

Under "Network" --> "Subnets"--> 0.0.0.0/0

What does the above configuration mean? Shall i understand that we defined External EPG subet as "any" and Exporting 3 prefixes and NOT "importing" any subnet into the Fabric?

Can you explain this please

regards,RB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License