Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3Out with IPv4 AND IPv6

Hi,

we have a already established L3Out with BGP neighborship via Sub-Interfaces.

We have to extend our IPv6 routing into ACI.

On the counter side, the interface is configured dual-stack. So with an IPv4 and an IPv6 address.

In ACI, I see no possibility to assign a IPv6 address along with the IPv4 address.

I tried to create another subinterface with the same encap VLAN and only the IPv6 address. But it fails saying that the interface is already in use.

Then I tried to create another subinterface with another encap VLAN and only the IPv6 address. But it doesn't stop saying that the interface is already in use.

How can I properly connect L3-wise ACI to a dual-stack network?

Please note that we're short on physical interfaces on the classical network device, therefore the goal is to utilize the same physical interface for the same.

Thanks.

- Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marcel Zehnder
Spotlight
Spotlight

You can use the same interface and encap but you need to configure the IPv6 Interface under a separately Interface Profile. So under the node profile you need to configure two interface-profiles, one for IPv4 the other one for IPv6.

HTH

Marcel

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marcel Zehnder
Spotlight
Spotlight

You can use the same interface and encap but you need to configure the IPv6 Interface under a separately Interface Profile. So under the node profile you need to configure two interface-profiles, one for IPv4 the other one for IPv6.

HTH

Marcel

This was the hint. Now it's working like a charm.
Thank you for your help.

I'm running into the same issue. Under my node profile, I have 2 Interface profiles configured, one for v4 and the other for v6, yet I never see an IPv6 neighbor pop up under my topology for either node. Version 4 establishes just fine, but v6 does not. I've got both BGP peer connectivity profiles built the same except one is using v4 & the other v6. I'm using Port channels with the same encapsulation for my connectivity. I have a version 4 IP set as the RTR ID and I'm using it as loopback. I've also attempted to setup only a v6 profile, completely removing all ipv4 l3out config and it still did not work. I've verified pings / L3 connectivity is successful between the fabric and our router. Not sure what I'm missing.

Hi,

Did you find a resolution for this issue?

Were you able to find a new v4 entry under the configured nodes?

I am facing a similar issue.

Thank you.

I figured out the issue however I don't recall what the resolution was. It may have been to look through the CLI instead of gui to see the v6 neighborships. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to that environment as it was a customer environment I was doing some consulting for so I'm unable to login and double check.

Thank you for responding.

In my case, the v6 came up fine but the v4 was not showing up.

I was able to see the v4 peer once the BGP connection got established.

Turns out for some reason, the v4 peer was setup as passive on ACI side. So it wasn't sending active BGP hello messages. Once the peer was setup as an active peer on the peer device, the v4 connectivity got established.

Thanks

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License