cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L4-L7 service graph insertion with PBR vs Without PBR

IslamOmar
Level 1
Level 1

What is the difference between L4-L7 service graph insertion using PBR or not using PBR ?

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Only have time for a quick answer, but hopefully it will give teh push you need.

Let's assume you are inserting a Firewall between the App_EPG and the DB_EPG

Clients on the App_EPG must have traffic go through the FW when accessing the BD_EPG

Without PBR, endpoints use the FW as their default gateway, ACI acts as a L2 redirection service.

This raises many problems - like how does traffic go say to a L3 Out from the Firewall if App EPs send traffic to the FW?

With L3 PBR, the EPs use ACI as the default gateway, and (typically two) new bridge domains & subnets are inserted between ACI and teh FW - one for each leg.

The Policy of PBR then routes every packet leaving the subnet, and it is a simple task (i.e. define a contract) to say "if traffic is gonig from the App_EPG to the DB_EPG, make the next-hop of the packet the FW"

Simple!

And when done this way, ACI can determine that a different policy is to be applied if the App EPs send packets to say a L3 Out.  Or you can even have say traffic from App to DB on port xxx can go directly to the DB_EPG

Finally, since v4.0 - you can even do PBR on two devices on the same subnet.

Sorry for the rushed answer.

LOTS More info @ https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/application-centric-infrastructure/white-paper-c11-739971.html

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hey @RedNectar 

Thanks for explanation and the link , really helpful .

now let's say that i have L4-L7 service graph with PBR and i have only one VRF , number of EPGs are 11 and i used the vzany with L4-L7 directed to the FW .

i have a concern that i need the north-south traffic to be inspected by firewall , cisco guys saying that this can't be done while using the vzany , is that possible?

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License