cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft NIC Teaming ACI

rcarmack1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the middle of a migration from Nexus 7K to 5K to Cisco ACI.  When we move servers over to copper Leafs, N9K-C93216TC-FXs, most of the time it seams that only one port comes up on the server.  The other port remains in the down/not-connected state in ACI.  I have to disable/enable the port in ACI to get it to come up.  If I move the same server to other ports on the same switch, we're fine.  If I move the server to ports on another set of VPC Leafs, one port comes up and the other one has to be bounced.  I get the same issue when I move the server back to the original copper ports.

1. In this test the ports were setup as VPC and auto-negotiate.

2. We rebooted the server and it we still had to bounce the port.

3. I switched a down VPC to no auto-negotiate and the downed port came up. 

4. I rebooted a leaf and the problem persisted.  After the reboot, all connected servers came up with no issue.

5. Our test were with LACP ports and Microsoft active/active with LACP.  We need to test this on non LACP ports as well.

I have a ticket open with Cisco and they're seeing an auto-negotiate issue.  It seems to be occurring on servers with different model NICs so it's not one model of NIC.  We updated the NIC drivers on the server but the problem persisted.  We don't have a resolution yet.  Once the port is up we have no issues.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

6 Replies 6

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!

I usually trust the info on Nexus Switches when the port status says "notconnec" or not connected,
which usually indicates that there is no link pulse detected on the link.

If this is reproducable on various different switches and different ports that usually work well..

I would suspect the other end to have the issue here..

What exactly is the other end?
You mentioned Microsoft NIC.. 

Are there Microsoft Servers installed baremetal or on some Hypervisor like VMWare ESXi?

I would also engage the support of the vendor on the other end, if it is a Cisco UCS Server by coincidence, ask the ACI TAC Engineer to involve a UCS colleague.

BR
Juls

Hello,
I don’t have the model of servers. I know they aren’t UCS. Two of the 3 servers have different models of NICs. A third server had its drivers updated today and we still had the same issue. The 3 servers were using NIC teaming. The server we tested with today was setup with Microsoft NIC teaming, active/active with LACP. All three have copper connections.

We connected ESXI servers to SFP based ACI switches and none of them showed this issue.

Thanks

Hi!

Okay.. then we would need to check all settings of the VPCs.

Can you post all settings of one of the VPCs?
All settings in the policy group would be nice, to see which interface policies are left default and which have custom settings (and hopefully see by the name of the interface policy what setting that is )

BR
Juls

Hello,
All the VPC policies setup on the copper switches are setup the same. 1gb, auto-negotiation enabled, cdp-off, lldp-off, lacp active and the same AEP. The rest of the setting are default. One thing to reiterate is that when I connect the servers to the VPC leafs. One port comes up and the other shows not connected. That’s been consistent on this issue. I’ve done 5 previous installs of ACI and haven’t run into this issue. I understand some servers need to have auto-negotiate turned off to work. It’s just odd that one NIC comes up and the other stays down until I bounce it.

Turning off auto-negotiation shows both ports as up. I even changed the policy of one server connected and the down port came up.

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What Policy Group settings do you have configured (which specific policies and settings)?  If the Leafs are showing the other port as 'down/not-connect' then that's typically the fault of something on the Server side.  How much time between disconnecting the host from the 5K/7K and reconnecting to an ACI Leaf?  I'd suggest you test the same move operation with a Server using a static port channel (no LACP) and see if the issue persists.  Could be an issue with MS LACP negotiation/timers.

Robert

I posted the VPC policy above.  It seems like server side to me but it's happened on different servers with different NIC cards.  We disconnect from the 7K/5Ks and plug right into the ACI leafs.  Less than 5 minutes.  We'll test the static port-channel next.  Maybe delaying for a short time will resolve it.  I did move a server from one ACI set of leafs to another set and experienced the same issue.  Once again, it was a disconnect and reconnect.  Less than 5 minutes.  I'm not on site, but it could be more like 2 minutes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License