Announcements
AMA event- Migrating Existing Networks to Cisco ACI
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Move 9K/FEX pair to new cabinet in Datacenter

I need to move a pair if 9K's w/ 2348 FEXs w/ HOST VPCs to a new cabinet in the same datacenter, while trying to do this non-disruptively.  Does the following process make sense or is there a better/safer way?

power off FEX  - all HOST ports are connected here
power off 9K
move to 9K and FEX to new cabinet
cable up 9K to spines
cable up FEX  to 9K
power up 9K & FEX 
wait 5-10 min
check spine and fex status
plug in HOST ports running LACP to FEX
check LACP and endpoint table on FEX HOST ports
plug in remaining HOST ports - non-LACP to FEX
check endpoint table on FEX HOST ports

then rinse and repeat on second 9K/FEX pair

Brian Holmes
Verizon
Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Enthusiast

Re: Move 9K/FEX pair to new cabinet in Datacenter

Hey @brian.holmes ,

Thats pretty much the approach I'd take.   If I were to add anything I would make sure the fabric was in good health, no faults, and that the APICs were all synced and fully fit.

I'd probably try disconnecting one of the hosts (a less critical one) from the first leaf/fex you were going to move just to make sure there was no impact unless you've tested all of that before and are confident that will work as expected.  I'm typically paranoid and sceptical in the data center unless I was involved in the initial testing

If you are confident,  then starting with the power down sequence you detailed is the way to go.

Good luck and let us know if you run into any issues!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Enthusiast

Re: Move 9K/FEX pair to new cabinet in Datacenter

Hey @brian.holmes ,

Thats pretty much the approach I'd take.   If I were to add anything I would make sure the fabric was in good health, no faults, and that the APICs were all synced and fully fit.

I'd probably try disconnecting one of the hosts (a less critical one) from the first leaf/fex you were going to move just to make sure there was no impact unless you've tested all of that before and are confident that will work as expected.  I'm typically paranoid and sceptical in the data center unless I was involved in the initial testing

If you are confident,  then starting with the power down sequence you detailed is the way to go.

Good luck and let us know if you run into any issues!

View solution in original post

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards
This widget could not be displayed.