Views
Helpful
Replies

MP-BGP , IS-IS, COOP

mgual57
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can someone explain to me what are doing those 3 technologies ?

Thanks

19 Replies 19

Hi Chris,

This is your perfect & evergreen explanation which help a lot of people to understand the flow.

I want to add here some thing by taking your line " But the leaf is a bit more clever than that, and looks INSIDE the payload of the ARP packet and learns that Host1 also has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and records all this information in its Local Station Table "

Its become clever (in terms of IP learning) only when we enable Unicast Routing under L3 Configuration on BD. 

Please make me correct if I am wrong because lots a of people reading this thread.

Thanks Chris.

Hi @TangoAlfa ,

You are absolutely correct.  If an ACI BD is configured in L2 Only mode (i.e.  Unicast Routing is disabled for the BD) then all fancy features (including inspection of ARP packets) dissolve. I always feel that using ACI as a L2 replacement is like doing parcel deliveries in a Ferrari - gets the job done very comfortably but a bit of overkill.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Nice Example

mgual57
Level 1
Level 1

Ok i got this , thanks you so much. Very clear explaination 

moj_ccie
Level 1
Level 1

That was Great 

As you (RedNectar) Say:

IS-IS Robust Routing Protocol is IP Fabric in ACI Underlay (It's mean for Establish Great IP Routing For All Leaf & Spine in Fabric) == Transparent & Permanent 

BGP Exterior Routing Protocol is Only For L3Out, WAN Network (ISN) & Multi-Site & Multi-POD IP Routing Establishment - From Leaf should be Redistributed Route Table (Ingress BGP - Egress OSPF/EIGRP)

COOP Oracle Protocol For:

1: Update Local Station Table (Leaf Host Table) to Proxy Station Table (Spine Table) 

2: Update Proxy Station Table (Spine Table) of All Spine in Fabric

3. Proxy Spine Anycast

Best Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License