cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple APs, Multiple VRFs vs Multiple Tenants?

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have some particular use cases that I am thinking either to implement as Multi-AP, Multi-Tenant or Multi-VRF. But I can not decide and would appreciate some input from your guys. 

I am building a greenfield DC with ACI. There would be UCS chassis/blades (ESXi) via FIs linked to the ACI fabric as vPCs. No VMM though. The vPCs would trunk/tag VLANs for the vSphere ESXi clusters. Also assuming this ACI fabric uses vzAny between EPGs.

I need to divide the applications/services to be hosted in this DC into various groups:

• Live application/services, VLAN 10-20
  • Replicated application (cold standby for DR purpose), VLAN 21-30
  • Hot Failover application, VLAN 31-40

Assuming all these applications share the same UCS/VMware environment in the DC, which means all the VLANs above would be trunked over the same vPCs from ACI down stream. 

Also I need to plan down the road to built another DC to connect to this one as Multi-Site. So VLAN 21-30 above can be stretched between...

With all these been said, I want to "isolate" these application groups within the ACI...So I thought I should match the above groups into unique AP OR VRF OR even Tenant to accomplish levels of logical isolation...But which one makes most sense from operation perspective?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @m1xed0s 

I would say it depends.

First thing, "Also assuming this ACI fabric uses vzAny between EPGs" -> do you mean that you have a vzAny-to-vzAny communication (which basically means VRF unenforced)? In this situation, the only valid separation would be AP separation.

For the inter-vrf/inter-tenant vzAny-to-vzAny, as far as I remember it was not supported. Not sure in the latest versions. However, even if it would be supported, there is no reason to complicate the config/design. When I am doing designs for my customers, I always think about troubleshooting - if it would be a hassle for someone who is new with the environment (for example TAC) to figure it out what and how the communication happens and then troubleshoot when the full network/services are down, then I am changing and simplifying the design.

AP separation is the way to go for you!

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Thanks!

Regarding the vzAny, yes I do mean "vzAny-to-vzAny communication" which has the same effect as VRF unenforced but operation wise it would be different.

I have been using different APs in other customer PROD DC, such as server_AP vs MGMT_AP under the same Tenant and VRF. Will explore more on the similar setup for this new DC then.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License