cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multipod ACI migration from OTV with localized HSRP

David Yang
Level 1
Level 1

Customer deployed Multipod ACI at two data centers and started migrating OTV VLANs to ACI fabric. the ACI border leaf has extended EPG to the legacy network via static binding on VPC at both data centers thus the ACI fabric is the L2 transport between data centers. In the OTV localized HSRP setup, the VLAN used the same IP address as HSRP gateways in the legacy networks in both data center.

When VLAN was moved from OTV to the ACI fabric EPG, the HSRP gateway VIP in the legacy networks showed up in the EPG from both data centers and seemed have caused problems. The question is "How would Multipod ACI handle HSRP localization while the gateways are still in the legacy network?"

Thanks,
David

3 Replies 3

mludwig89
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently working on the same design myself. I believe that when you join the fabric to the legacy domain, the bridge domain needs to assume the HSRP address. By doing so, the anycast gateway will take place. 

Also, need to remember that OTV suppresses the spanning-tree BPDU, and I believe would cause a loop if you had the OTV and L2 outs connected at the same time. 

+1. When migrating VLANs, you should remove them from OTV before to migrating into the Multipod fabric. ACI doesn't do HSRP localization, so I would recommend migrating the HSRP VIPs into the Bridge Domains at the same time you migrate the VLANs into ACI.

I did a good amount of digging into this last night. You can migrate from OTV to your IPN using l2 outs / static epg pinning or any other method you would like. 

Assuming you leave the default-gateway on your traditional core and you need to maintain FHRP isolation you would need to block with a contract or a traditional PACL. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

Page 91, should cover what you are looking for. 

Hoping to lab it up when our gear comes in but that is going to be a bit. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License