cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

N9K-C9372PX-E vs N9K-C9372PX in ACI mode

ataranen
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having trouble finding any documentation on the difference between these 2 models in ACI mode. I found a short notice that in Nexus mode there is no difference, but I can't fine anything about ACI mode. Clearly "E" should mean some enhancement in hardware, but what is the enhancement, and what are its implications on the software and configuration. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hardware revisions to address additional features in ACI.

The 9372EPX use the Broadcom Trident II along with the Cisco-created ALE2 or ALE2+ SoC. The non-E uses the ALE2, the E version uses the ALE2+. In NX-OS mode, there's no difference between the ALE2 or ALE2+. The ALE chips (ALE, ALE2, ALE2+) provide some extra buffer as well as some additional functionality that is missing in the T2, such as VXLAN routing (T2 can only do VXLAN termination, it can't make a routing decision after the decapsulation.)

In ACI mode the E version can do microsegmentation based on IP address, where normally segmentation/microsegmentation is done via VXLAN/VLAN/NVGRE. You cannot do uSeg IP-based with a non-E leaf. You can still segment based on VLAN or VXLAN, which can still be microsegments depending on how you lay your VLANs/VXLANs out.The only difference between the ALE2 and ALE2+ is that particular ability. All other functionality and performance is the same. For NX-OS mode, there's no difference in functionality or performance.

I hope this helps!

T.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hardware revisions to address additional features in ACI.

The 9372EPX use the Broadcom Trident II along with the Cisco-created ALE2 or ALE2+ SoC. The non-E uses the ALE2, the E version uses the ALE2+. In NX-OS mode, there's no difference between the ALE2 or ALE2+. The ALE chips (ALE, ALE2, ALE2+) provide some extra buffer as well as some additional functionality that is missing in the T2, such as VXLAN routing (T2 can only do VXLAN termination, it can't make a routing decision after the decapsulation.)

In ACI mode the E version can do microsegmentation based on IP address, where normally segmentation/microsegmentation is done via VXLAN/VLAN/NVGRE. You cannot do uSeg IP-based with a non-E leaf. You can still segment based on VLAN or VXLAN, which can still be microsegments depending on how you lay your VLANs/VXLANs out.The only difference between the ALE2 and ALE2+ is that particular ability. All other functionality and performance is the same. For NX-OS mode, there's no difference in functionality or performance.

I hope this helps!

T.

Just a follow up on the difference between the basic model N9K-C9372PX and N9K-C9372PX-E: if I mix the 2 models in our environment, may I run into any compatibility or configuration issues ? Especially in situations when I connect an external device to both switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License