Views
Helpful
Replies

Node certificate invalid - all switches inactive

Nik Noltenius
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi community,

I have at least one major issue, perhaps even two.

We have a small demo-lab, one APIC, two leaf switches, one spine. A critical fault (F3031) is raised with a description of "Node Certificate is invalid: Failed to parse the subject line as a valid ACI fabric certificate AND Invalid Serial Number AND Invalid Product ID". The fault is raised for the APIC.

For a time everything went fine, though. We had this fault but nothing really happened. Now I reset the fabric to factory defaults and started building it up from scratch. All nodes are discovered successfully, however they turn to an "inactive" state right after discovery. I have seen this happen in other environments for a short period, maybe up to a couple of minutes but in this case it's been hours now, since the devices have been discovered. I have a hunch this issue might be related to the invalid certificate.

Am I on the right track or are those problems not related? What can I do to get back a valid certificate?

Thank you and kind regards,

Nik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav Gambhir
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In 4.2 we introduced a new cli command "show discoveryissues" which can be run on leaf cli.

the cli basically runs a script in backend and perform multiple checks, certificate check is one of them.

If invalid certificate is the issue, please open a tac case.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Gaurav Gambhir
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In 4.2 we introduced a new cli command "show discoveryissues" which can be run on leaf cli.

the cli basically runs a script in backend and perform multiple checks, certificate check is one of them.

If invalid certificate is the issue, please open a tac case.

Thank you Gaurav,

unfortunately the switches are still running 3.2(7f) so the command is not available.

I think I'll go with the TAC case. I'll update the discussion when we have a solution.

Thank you again for the input!
It took a while but it turned out the certificate did indeed have to be replaced. For some unknown reason the subject-line got corrupted and presented the values in a wrong order. I hope this is some very rare scenario but if someone is facing this issue there is no way around it without TAC and root access. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License