cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Node-ID numbering Scheme

mmacdonald70
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  I'm about to expand my ACI fabric to a multipod fabric with 3 pods.  This has the mid-term possibility to expand to 5 but I'm not ruling out more in the future.  I have two issues.

First, I'm having problems coming up with a usefull node-id numbering scheme.  What are others using for this.

I'm currently thinking:

Spine:

10XY where X is Site-ID and Y is Node-ID.

Leaf:

(0-1)XYY where X is Site-ID and YY is Node-ID

So Site 1:

Spines: 1010-1019
Leafs:   101-199,1100,1199
Site 5:
Spines: 1050-1059
Leafs:  500-599,1500-1599

I know this is way more than the number of supported leaf nodes but I like keeping my options open

Second, my existing numbering isn't optimal.  I know that there is no way to renumber in the gui but I'm wondering if anybody managed to renumber through the API.  I assume that if I really had to, I could wipe the existing fabric and rebuild it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

russhe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I like the numbering schema you came up with. At the end of the day, as long as it makes sense in your environment, that's what matters. I use 100-199 for Pod 1 leafs, 10XX for pod 1 spines, 200-299 for pod 2 leafs, 20xx for pod 2 spines, etc. This wouldn't scale to more than 3 pods though so yours is way better :)

For your second question, there is no way to change the node id without a wipe. You do not need to wipe the whole fabric; you can decommission single nodes, clean reload the node, and add it as a new node. You will then have to adjust any existing policies that are deployed to reference the new, correct node id

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

russhe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I like the numbering schema you came up with. At the end of the day, as long as it makes sense in your environment, that's what matters. I use 100-199 for Pod 1 leafs, 10XX for pod 1 spines, 200-299 for pod 2 leafs, 20xx for pod 2 spines, etc. This wouldn't scale to more than 3 pods though so yours is way better :)

For your second question, there is no way to change the node id without a wipe. You do not need to wipe the whole fabric; you can decommission single nodes, clean reload the node, and add it as a new node. You will then have to adjust any existing policies that are deployed to reference the new, correct node id

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License