cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Opflex communication within AVE vm

Bill Burns
Level 1
Level 1

I am running ACI 4.0.1(h) with vCenter 6.7 and have installed AVE 2.0.1a-r2. I have my VMM configure and AVE installed on vCenter which looks like it is up and running.  I have communications with EPs as I would expect. 

I am learning about Opflex and how it communicates with the switches. My AVE vm says it is online and I see my vms (vemcmd show port) but when I issue "vemcmd show opflex" this is the output I get.

Channel0: 12 (Active0, Channel1: 9(Send id)

Dvs name: comp/prov-VMware/ctrlr-{abc-AVE-POCv11}-LABVC07/sw-dvs-344

Remote IP: 10.252.0.30 Port:8000

Infra vlan: 3252

FTEP IP: 10.252.0.32

Switching Mode: LS

Encap Type: VLAN

NS GIPO: 0.0.0.0

My question is on the second line of that output.  How do I troubleshoot the channel that has (send id).  I know the different levels of getting to an active state, I just dont know the commands to tshoot it and fix it.  Any docs would be helpful.  

Thx, -Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the link.  I had seen this doc. My issue was first understanding Opflex and there was a lack of documentation from Cisco about its own technology.  What ended up being the issue was I was in a lab and my port channel was only one connection.  It seems that Opflex needs to have two active physical connection to show both channels up.  So Opflex with PC and vPC worked like a charm with two physical connection. 

Hopefully this will help anyone else struggling to understand how Opflex works and what it needs. Thx, -Bill

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

6askorobogatov
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, it is too obvious, but did you verify that your infra VLAN is reaching AVE ?

Yes the Infra vlan 3252 is on the AVE.  One channel is up and is communicating while the second channel is stuck in (Send ID).  

I had exactly the same issue in the Lab.   Got Cisco engineer on-call ... no result. Eventually I have deleted everything and install again and everything was working OK. No idea what it was ... 

melgebal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bill,

Have you checked the supported topologies here https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/aci_virtual_edge/installation_upgrade/2-x/Cisco-ACI-Virtual-Edge-Installation-Guide-201/Cisco-ACI-Virtual-Edge-Installation-Guide-201_appendix_0111.html

Also I can see that your "NS GIPO: 0.0.0.0" so have you configured the fabric-wide-multicast-address and the required pool during your VMM domain creation

Thanks for the link.  I had seen this doc. My issue was first understanding Opflex and there was a lack of documentation from Cisco about its own technology.  What ended up being the issue was I was in a lab and my port channel was only one connection.  It seems that Opflex needs to have two active physical connection to show both channels up.  So Opflex with PC and vPC worked like a charm with two physical connection. 

Hopefully this will help anyone else struggling to understand how Opflex works and what it needs. Thx, -Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License