Views
Helpful
Replies

PIM SSM on Cisco ACI

hm7
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am currently implementing Cisco ACI Version 4.2(2e) and have some trouble with IP Multicast originating from via L3-Out.

I think it has something to do with the fact that the IP Multicast streams are all within the 232.0.0.0/8 range but in fact we do not use Source Specific Multicast (SSM). Its because someone decided to use this range way before the network even consisted of Cisco components - some 20+ years ago.

On the Nexus 7700 platform that the Multicast senders are connected to there is a command "ip pim ssm range none".

Is there an equivalent to this command on Cisco ACI?

best regards,
Harald

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Timothy Rothenberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The default range is 232.0.0.0/8, but you can modify it by applying a Group Range Policy and referencing a route-map matching the range you want (or don't want, in this case).  I'm not sure what the CLI command is, but the Group Range Policy setting can be found under Tenant > Networking > VRFs > [your VRF] > Multicast, and then going to the Pattern Policy tab; you'll see a section for SSM there.

For what it's worth, the 232.0.0.0/8 range was assigned by IANA, so it's not just a Cisco thing.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Timothy Rothenberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The default range is 232.0.0.0/8, but you can modify it by applying a Group Range Policy and referencing a route-map matching the range you want (or don't want, in this case).  I'm not sure what the CLI command is, but the Group Range Policy setting can be found under Tenant > Networking > VRFs > [your VRF] > Multicast, and then going to the Pattern Policy tab; you'll see a section for SSM there.

For what it's worth, the 232.0.0.0/8 range was assigned by IANA, so it's not just a Cisco thing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License