cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote leaf with multipod

slizarraga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I have an ACI implementation using multipod with 3 pods and I am looking forward to implement a site with remote leaf.

This is what I got:

Site 1 - 3 apic controllers, first generation spines

Site 2 - none apic controllers, second generation spines

Site 3 - none apic controllers, second generation spines

I know 1st generation spines do not support remote leaf, so I was planning to attach it to site 2. But I have no apics there. 

Can I implement remote leaf? or just have to wait until I replace my 1st generation spines in site 1?

thanks for your help!

2 Replies 2

slizarraga
Level 1
Level 1
Just to add, running version 3.1(2q), thanks!

joezersk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello.  I have some thoughts and I have a question.  Please allow me the question first. 

1.  How are your "sites" deployed?  Are you using Multi-Pod?  It cannot be multisite (at least not yet) because then you'd need APICs in each of them. Perhaps you are operating these as separate, standalone fabrics?  In which case you'd also need APICs. 

Now for my thoughts.  I will assume Multi-pod here because it is the only thing that makes sense based on the info you have provided.  Remote Leafs are married to a single Pod.  So, in your case, you choose Pod 2, and those RLs are now basically extensions of that POD (although they have their own special TEP pool).  You don't have any dependency or worry about what may be happening in PODs 1 and 3.  So you could deploy today to POD-2 if you wanted. 

I have a humble but optional suggestion.  You should upgrade your fabric to something in the 4.2.x range, preferably the most recent (4.2.5).  Why do I suggest that?  A few reasons.  First, 4.2.x is what we call a "long lived" release.  It means it has a longer life span, and gets more bug fixes and support over shorter span, minor releases.  This applies to anything in 4.2.x train.  Second, in ACI 4.1.2 and later, we changed how we did Remote Leafs and made it not only simpler to deploy but more efficient in how we handle traffic to other pods and remote leafs.  You can read the 4.1 and 4.2 release notes or deployment guides for RL with those releases.  There are a few features added around HA that are worthwhile to consider too. 

Good luck in your remote leaf journey!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License