cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing ACI Leaf Switches with Different HW Model

Mohamed_Saad
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if it is possible to replace the ACI leaf with a different model, I'm very familiar with actual procedure on how to replace a Leaf switch but my question is if I have two Leafs "Nexus 93180YC-FX" want to replace them with two new Leafs for what ever reason "more throughput or EoS/EoL etc" can I get two new Leafs Nexus 93180YC-FX3 or Nexus 93240YC-FX2 then replace the current Nexus 93180YC-FX one by one?

Leaf 101 and 103 are in a vPC pair and all servers are dual connected to both of them in a vPC

Leaf 101 "Nexus 93180YC-FX" --> Replace it with Nexus 93240YC-FX2

Then

Leaf 103 "Nexus 93180YC-FX" --> Replace it with Nexus 93240YC-FX2

So is that a supported scenario and what happens during the transition period when I have Leaf 101 as Nexus 93240YC-FX2 and Leaf 103 as Nexus 93180YC-FX

Any problems? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No issues swapping Switches in a VPC pair from the same generation.  Just be mindful of the Interface IDs - try to use the same ones as previously so all your Interface policies fall back into place.  

Robert

View solution in original post

It's not as intuitive as that.  1st Gen switches (in which we leverage merchant silicon (Broadcom)) aren't compatible with Gen 2 and later switches (which we replaced merchant silicon with our own custom ASICs).  

1st Gen - those switches which are already EoL and lacking an EX,  FX, or GX designation.   2nd Gen+ is everything from EX onward (EX, FX, FX2, GX, GX2 etc.).  

While it's supported to mix Gen2+ together, (Ex. FX with FX2) in the same VPC domain, I would try to limit/avoid it if possible for anything other than a HW migration activity like you're planning.  Reason is that there are some features/capabilities which are platform specific (MacSec, PoE, TCAM size etc).  Ideally, VPC peer switches they should have the same capabilities. 

You'll find this documented in the L2 Config Guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/2-x/L2_config/b_Cisco_APIC_Layer_2_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_APIC_Layer_2_Configuration_Guide_chapter_0100.html

Robert

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No issues swapping Switches in a VPC pair from the same generation.  Just be mindful of the Interface IDs - try to use the same ones as previously so all your Interface policies fall back into place.  

Robert

Thanks @Robert Burns  for sure that makes sense to have the same interface IDs as most likely it is 1:1 

When you say same generation that means FX goes with FX .. EX goes with EX etc so it does not matter if FX goes to FX2, Correct?

It's not as intuitive as that.  1st Gen switches (in which we leverage merchant silicon (Broadcom)) aren't compatible with Gen 2 and later switches (which we replaced merchant silicon with our own custom ASICs).  

1st Gen - those switches which are already EoL and lacking an EX,  FX, or GX designation.   2nd Gen+ is everything from EX onward (EX, FX, FX2, GX, GX2 etc.).  

While it's supported to mix Gen2+ together, (Ex. FX with FX2) in the same VPC domain, I would try to limit/avoid it if possible for anything other than a HW migration activity like you're planning.  Reason is that there are some features/capabilities which are platform specific (MacSec, PoE, TCAM size etc).  Ideally, VPC peer switches they should have the same capabilities. 

You'll find this documented in the L2 Config Guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/2-x/L2_config/b_Cisco_APIC_Layer_2_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_APIC_Layer_2_Configuration_Guide_chapter_0100.html

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License