Views
Helpful
Replies

Single-Pod to Multi-Pod and moving APIC

udo.konstantin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

for a customer we enhanced a current ACI Fabric (single Pod) to a multi-pod solution. After adding the new Pod the discovery process works fine and at the end all spines and leaf switches are shown in the topology. 
Also we want to move the third controller (APIC-3) from the first pod to the second pod. Because of this I decommissioned APIC-3. Also delete the config and start with the initial setup script after the APIC was moved to Pod2.

This was because the name of the third APIC changed. 

The problem now is that the third APIC does not join the cluster. 

I noticed the following: 

• On the new leaf where the APIC is connected the switching state is disabled but the port is up. LLDP neighbor is recognized
  • Under System - Controllers - <controller> - Cluster as Seen by Node:
    The old Controller is already there with the old name. I did't found a solution to permanently delete it. Maybe with the "reset"?

Any solution for that? 

Thanks 

Udo 

3 Replies 3

Remi-Astruc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @udo.konstantin ,

You'd better change the hostname before Decommission/Recommission.

Try the following:

- Decommission the APIC

- Rebuild the APIC with the old name

- Add it to the cluster

- Change the APIC name (System>Controllers>apic-X>General)

- Reboot the APIC

- If necessary, run again the Deco/Reco process

Remi Astruc

Hi @Remi-Astruc ,

thank you for this information. 
We already moved the APIC to the second pod. So when I understand you correctly, we should move the APIC back to Pod 1, configure it with the old values and bring it back again. 
Then change the name to the appropriate?! 

Or is it also possible to bring it back on the second pod with the old name and commission it? I don't think this works because it's in Pod 2. 

Any help? 

Thanks 
Udo 

Hi @udo.konstantin ,

You should be able to do it in Pod 2, as if you'd move it without changing the hostname.

When rebuilding the APIC, run the commands acidiag touch clean, acidiag touch setup, and reboot the APIC. In the setup script, keep all values the same as it was when in Pod 1, but change the Pod ID into 2.

Remi Astruc

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License