cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP differences in ACI

Kevin Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, question can someone explain the difference in ACI with “Pod Policies>SNMP” and “Monitoring Policies>Common Policy>Callhome/SNMP/Syslog”, which is located under “Fabric/Fabric Policies”, want to know exactly what is the difference?

4 Replies 4

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kevin,

Please take a look at my document here:

Technote: SNMP in the ACI Fabric
https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12961146/technote-snmp-aci-fabric

The SNMP Policies configuration sets up various things:

* The SNMP Client Group is related to access lists for SNMP GETs & Walks.

* Setup version 3 users

* Setup of "Community" strings

The SNMP Policy is then assigned to a policy group which is applied to all nodes in the fabric.

The Monitoring Policies is where you define SNMP Sources which relates to SNMP Traps which are sent to SNMP destination groups in the "External Data Collectors" policies for SNMP.

I hope this helps!

T.

Actually I had found the document after I had posted, that was an awesome document you put together……it cleared up a lot for me…..very helpful.

We just got Solarwinds Orion with NPM, I created basic policy under “Pod Policies>SNMP”, Solarwinds Orion found the leafs and spines fine, but not any of the APIC Controllers, and I was wondering why?  Any idea on that……..from you document I’m wondering if I need to add a "SNMP Monitoring Destination Group"…..for the APIC’s to get pickup by Solarwinds?  Thoughts?

There could be a couple of reasons.

* even though you setup a OOB management IP address during the setup, you still need a "static node management address" policy configured for each APIC.  This is so policies and be applied to those IP addresses.

* I am assuming that NPM uses SNMP walks or gets to discover devices.  A contract with an SNMP filter needs to be applied the external management instance profile.

In my document I show how you can send SNMP Gets & Walks from a Mac OSX client, Windows Client, and Linux client.  Perform a manual test to the APIC and see if you get a result.

If that all fails, try to manually add the APIC and then run and SNMP query against the APIC.

Thanks

T.

interesting....will try that thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License