Views
Helpful
Replies

Split Brain on 3 node APIC cluster after one APIC HW faul

petar.forai1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys!

We're hitting a 'data plane partially diverged' on two controller nodes. The initial situation was that one of the APICs  (APIC ID1)had died after a reboot due to HW faults ( after a reboot to with FW upgrade to 2.0). We decommissioned the faulty controller and powered it off and unplugged power. The remaining two APICs then got into split brain/'data plane partially diverged'. After rebooting both APICs sequentially the problem was still present and we decided to decomission and recomission APIC ID 3 but to no avail. 

Any ideas?

P

2 Replies 2

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Petar,

Thank you for contacting the Cisco Support Community for ACI.  I am sorry that you are having an issue with the APIC Cluster.  I am going to summarize the issue so please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

• you had a 3 APIC cluster the was working and fully fit
  • you scheduled a "Controller" upgrade for all 3 APICs. APIC 1 started the Upgrade while the other two APICs were a queued or in-progress state. APIC 2 & 3 should have started the upgrade and waited at around 75% for APIC 1 to complete.
  • APIC 1 completed the upgrade and rebooted. Then it came up with some Hardware faults.  What were the faults seen? Please be specific?
  • What was the "Running" ACI version for the APICs prior to the upgrade to 2.0?  What was the target version for 2.0?
  • Did APIC2 and APIC3 complete their Upgrades?
  • What is the current state of APIC 1?
  • Please gather a "show controller" and an "acidiag avread" on APIC 2 & APIC 3 and copy the display results into a text file and attach here.
  • Have you opened a Cisco TAC Case yet?

This will most likely be the best way for us to determine the next plan of action.

Thanks

T.

We resolved the problem by decomissioning the HW faulty APIC, and by resetting the non-leader to the setup wizzard. That resolved the split brain by some force :)

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License