If you add a Standby APIC to the ACI infrastructure, you might get confused as I was.
- The Standby APIC is shown in the System - Controllers topology, but serial number is shown instead of the name.
- In the System / Controllers view, you will see only the active APIC clusters and not the standby one.
- If you try to log into the Standby APIC, your default credentials will not work. You need to log in with a "rescue-user" account without any password..
- After logging to the Standby APIC, a banner will up saying, that Fabric discovery is in progress.
Don't get confused about the status.
- You need to highlight any of the active APIC nodes and choose the "Cluster as Seen by Node" option. Upon this, you will see both the active and Standby APIC nodes and can also replace an active with the standby.
- On any of the APICs, you can use the "show controller" command, which will also list the Standby APIC.
The behaviour is described in the Cisco APIC Getting Started Guide, Release 3.x, as well as the replacement procedure.
Here's a GUI screenshot of the System / Controllers GUI without the Standby, that confused me.
Hi Alex. You are exactly correct. The standby APIC is allowed to sort of "join the fabric" but is not given any identity and does not actually download any configuration or anything from the actual APIC cluster and certainly does not do any work. It is something of an empty shell just waiting to be called into service to replace the personality of a failed APIC. So if APIC #2 fails, you would decommission it, and the promote the standby APIC to take over the job of APIC 2. The reason we see it at all is mostly to be able to upgrade the code and keep it at the same version as the production APICs.
Login to Cisco Communities
Go to the Cisco Intersight Community and to Intersight Product updates
*This means you will get an email only if content is posted specifically to Intersight Product Updates. And all product updates wi...
Hi,There was a leaf Switch live in our fabric which was having some issues . We got an RMA for it and replaced the new leaf Switch with the same Node ID. After replacement we are unable to SSH the new leaf Switch from APIC .getting some error for RSA keys...
Hi, I am trying to create multiple subnets in one bridge domain using postman for ACI automation. I want to know if there is a document specific to the automation mentioned above. Can someone help me with this please. I am using global variables for ...
Bridge the gap between infrastructure and applications with Cisco Hyperflex Application Platform and Intersight Workload Optimizer.
Hyperflex Application Platform (HXAP)
See Hyperflex in Action
Cisco listens to the business needs of cu...