cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static binding path error with access(802.1p) and trunk mode in same vlan-encap

FedeSaraullo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone! We tried to configure a access port with the same vlan encap as a port in trunk mode, but we can´t because appeared an error 

"Different encap modes are not allowed for an encap on a given interface" 

I've read the following link and it is supported ..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13120181/does-aci-support-have-both-access-and-trunk-modes-interface-paths-within-same

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alrighty

To close the loop. 

Turns out customers physical domain and static path was using AAEP "a" and the VMM domain was also using AAEP "a"

The EPGs using the VMM domain had a static encap vlan-43 and set to pre-provision. this was pushing the vlan as trunked regardless of discovery protocol adjacency and thus causing vlan-43 as 802.1p to fail. 

After removing the static encap and changing the vmm domain to "immediate" the issue was resolved

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for using SupportForums

based on the error it seems that you have another static path somewhere for 101/1/18 trying to use the same vlan as both trunk and untagged/access

could you please provide the following output from switch 101

-show vlan ex

-show int e1/18 switchport

thanks!

Thanks for you answer! The output was attached. 

Thanks

as i suspected

9    enet  CE         vlan-43  

that vlan is already being trunked on that interface and as such cannot be the access/802.1p vlan as well

Trunking VLANs Allowed: 8-11,74-91,96-97,100-101,103-104,107-108

Hi Daniel! We are very confused. Could you explain a little more this? We only configured a static binding with this port in the epg 43, why does this port appears in many vlans? 

I understand that vlan 9 is the vlan PI (local vlan en leaf101), but i dont understand how can we understand following line if  we didnt configure it:

Trunking VLANs Allowed: 8-11,74-91,96-97,100-101,103-104,107-108

Also, we had tried to configure this stating binding in another epg (epg 137) and it worked fine. 

I would appreciate it if you can give us some guidance on this.. 

Thanks again!

there must be some other static paths deploying that vlan on that interface. i have a feeling that interface is part of a vPC. 

from the leaf again, could you send me the the following output?

-show port-channel summary

-show vpc ext

-moquery -c fvIfConn

and from the APIC

-moquery -c fvRsPathAtt

Daniel, i attached you the commands and the tests with the static binding in another epg (epg 56). It is working fine.

Do you want to just work with me on your existing case? send me an email and we can discuss offline and webex if needed

Alrighty

To close the loop. 

Turns out customers physical domain and static path was using AAEP "a" and the VMM domain was also using AAEP "a"

The EPGs using the VMM domain had a static encap vlan-43 and set to pre-provision. this was pushing the vlan as trunked regardless of discovery protocol adjacency and thus causing vlan-43 as 802.1p to fail. 

After removing the static encap and changing the vmm domain to "immediate" the issue was resolved

Thanks a lot! A pleasure working with you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License