cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subnet in Bridge Domain not being routed

mike-simpson
Level 1
Level 1

I created a bridge domain on a new fabric and for some reason im not able to communicate with the subnet configured in it. Now I know there are quite a few configuration options that could give me a problem if not done or not done correctly. My question is do I have to associate an epg and deploy it to a port before the subnet is active or should I be able to at least ping the gateway of the subnet as soon as I hit submit on the L3 configuration of the subnet in the bridge domain. Oh and by the way all of the L3out stuff is done and routes are populating between the fabric and the external network.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Mike,

First some simple answers

My question is do I have to associate an epg and deploy it to a port before the subnet is active

Yes

or should I be able to at least ping the gateway of the subnet as soon as I hit submit on the L3 configuration of the subnet in the bridge domain.

No

Oh and by the way all of the L3out stuff is done and routes are populating between the fabric and the external network

Well Done! That's no mean feat

But you will probably have to put a contract in place before your external hosts can ping any internal addresses. In fact, with earlier versions of ACI you wouldn't even get the routing table populated before there was a contract in place, in keeping with the theory that policy is not pushed to the leaf switches until it's needed.  Indeed, I just tried it and I still couldn't get a route advertised from my Bridege Domain Subnet to the outside until I had added a static path in an EPG.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mike-simpson
Level 1
Level 1

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Mike,

First some simple answers

My question is do I have to associate an epg and deploy it to a port before the subnet is active

Yes

or should I be able to at least ping the gateway of the subnet as soon as I hit submit on the L3 configuration of the subnet in the bridge domain.

No

Oh and by the way all of the L3out stuff is done and routes are populating between the fabric and the external network

Well Done! That's no mean feat

But you will probably have to put a contract in place before your external hosts can ping any internal addresses. In fact, with earlier versions of ACI you wouldn't even get the routing table populated before there was a contract in place, in keeping with the theory that policy is not pushed to the leaf switches until it's needed.  Indeed, I just tried it and I still couldn't get a route advertised from my Bridege Domain Subnet to the outside until I had added a static path in an EPG.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License