cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble connecting to Cisco ACI simulator

JosueMartinez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, my team has followed the deployment guide for the ACI Simulator 4.x on VMware ESXi. For some reason, I can see the vNIC mac addresses on the switches connected to the host, but I don't see the apic1-eth1 MAC address, and the VM won't respond to ping nor https requests. I verified that the vSwitch is in promiscuous mode.

What's weird is that this was incredibly easy to set up at home on VMware Workstation.

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

10 out of 10 times this is an issue with the vSwitch security and/or VM Resources (Memory/CPU).  Flip on all the Port Group security options (Promiscuous, MAC Change, Forged MACs) and ensure you don't have any conflicting setting overrides. 

To test this, put a test workstation directly on the same Port Group as the Simulator and see if you can ping it from there.  That will eliminate a lot of potential issues.

Robert

fodermat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Josué,

As Robert mentioned, make sure you change the all the security settings in the vSwitch to "Accept". I just ran a quick test in the lab, enabling promiscuous mode only is not enough, you also need to accept MAC address changes and Forged transmits. A few seconds after changing the settings you should be able to reach the APIC's mgmt IP.

Captura de Pantalla 2022-05-24 a las 16.26.20.png

Hope this helps!

Javi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License