cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Types of VLAN information found in Cisco ACI

LakshmiPrabu
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to understand the below terminologies and their difference and how each one is associated to another in the bridging / switching of frames across hosts in an EPG

VlanId 

HW_VlanId

Type           

Access_enc Type

Access_enc

Fabric_enc Type

Fabric_enc

BDVlan 

Also I could see entries where in it is mentioned as 'unknown' in the type columns of Access_enc or Fabric_enc

1 Reply 1

liguoriariel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi mate, 

Will try to reply you :), i guess you're meaning to the output of the "

show system internal eltmc info vlan brief

" command :

VlanId -> Platform Independent VLAN - It's a local identifier for VLAN and VXLAN IDs (meaning that could be different on other leafs, since his value is has only local value)

HW_VlanId -> VLAN ID used by the hardware for VLAN translations

Type -> Could be any from:

BD_CTRL_VLAN - Infrastructure VLAN
BD_EXT_VLAN - External VLAN used
BD_VLAN - Bridge Domain VLAN. This can map to a single or multiple encap (FD) VLANs
FD_VLAN - VLAN used for EPGs

Access_enc Type: type of encapsulation for encap vlan, this could be 802.1Q or unknown if is untagged (this is when is native vxlan for example)

Access_enc: Encap VLAN used

Fabric_enc Type: Type of fabric encapsulation to use inside the fabric, this would be used to map encap_vlan to vxlan inside ACI Fabric, this mapping should be consistent

Fabric_enc: VXLAN, encapsulation used inside the fabric

BDVlan: Again Platform Independent VLAN ID for each VLAN. For type BD_VLAN the PI VLAN would be the same to BDVlan (PI VLAN=BD Vlan)

More info at: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-9336pq-aci-spine-switch/118930-technote-aci-00.html

and also a good reply (with an example, you can track the "show vlan ext" and the "show system..." info) from Jason Williams here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13305681/aci-fabric-routing-aci-end-point-end-point-traffic-flow-asic-level

HTH,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License