Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USC fabric interconnect integration with ACI

Hello,

We currently have vmware servers, hyper-v servers, and bare metal servers behind the Cisco fabric interconnect, which is connected to ACI using two port-channels.

Is it possible to create multiple domains (hyper-v, vmware, bare metal) for the interface connected to ACI in order to be able to integrate ACI with vmware and hyper-v? Or will i have to connected new interfaces and integrate each type of servers on a different interface?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Ziad El Achkouty ,

Is it possible to create multiple domains (hyper-v, vmware, bare metal) for the interface connected to ACI in order to be able to integrate ACI with vmware and hyper-v?

Yes, It certainly is.

Or will i have to connected new interfaces and integrate each type of servers on a different interface?

No, just configure the ports where the external traffic arrives in an Access Policy Chain so that the Interface Selector for the port(s) where the mixed traffic is arriving is linked to an Interface Policy Group (i.e. an Access Port Policy Group, a Port-Channel Interface Policy Group or a Virtual Port-Channel Interface Policy Group) that is linked to an Attachable Access Entity Profile (which SHOULD be called an Encapsulation Profile - but that is another story) and finally make sure the AAEP is linked to you Physical Domain AND you VMware VMM Domain AND your Hyper-V VMM Domain.

So the key to makin this work is to understand that the AAEP is the collection point for your Encapsulatoin Profiles and your Physical Interfaces.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Ziad El Achkouty ,

Is it possible to create multiple domains (hyper-v, vmware, bare metal) for the interface connected to ACI in order to be able to integrate ACI with vmware and hyper-v?

Yes, It certainly is.

Or will i have to connected new interfaces and integrate each type of servers on a different interface?

No, just configure the ports where the external traffic arrives in an Access Policy Chain so that the Interface Selector for the port(s) where the mixed traffic is arriving is linked to an Interface Policy Group (i.e. an Access Port Policy Group, a Port-Channel Interface Policy Group or a Virtual Port-Channel Interface Policy Group) that is linked to an Attachable Access Entity Profile (which SHOULD be called an Encapsulation Profile - but that is another story) and finally make sure the AAEP is linked to you Physical Domain AND you VMware VMM Domain AND your Hyper-V VMM Domain.

So the key to makin this work is to understand that the AAEP is the collection point for your Encapsulatoin Profiles and your Physical Interfaces.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thank you for the reply.

As for the vlan domain, shouldn't I be using static allocation for the physical domain, and dynamic allocation for the vmware domain?

Would this create a problem if the same vlans are in 2 different pools, one static and the other dynamic, and associated to the same interface?

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License